cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dean_H
Level 7

Does InstallScript MSI support the registry key Uninstall?

Does InstallScript MSI support the registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

What do you mean by "support"? An InstallScript MSI project uses that key for its own uninstall information (twice, in fact: one hidden key for MSI's normal uninstall data, and one InstallScript key used to launch setup.exe when uninstalling from Add or Remove Programs)...
0 Kudos
Dean_H
Level 7

I'm having problems if I create that regisrty key in my project. If I install a new build that triggers a minor update, the update installs successfully, however at that point if I try to uninstall the application, it posts the message " That setup is going to perform an upgrade" so I'm unable to uninstall the application. I'm not sure if the problem is related to the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall Registry key that I manually added to my project or if it is some other issue. I will remove this manual registry entry from my project and see if this helps. Any suggestions as to where the problem may be?
0 Kudos
Dean_H
Level 7

Robert,

I removed my manual registry entry for HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and now I have a different problem. Now I can uninstall the application, however when I try to install a minor upgrade, I get an error that I need to uninstall the application (see attachment) Is it possible that one or more of the msi tables has incorrect information in it and that is the cause of the Upgrade\Uninstall problems?
0 Kudos
Dean_H
Level 7

Robert,

I assigned new GUIDS to the Package Code, Product Code and Upgrade Code and now it appears to behave correctly. I'm not sure, but I may have added a new component when this issue started happening. If new components are added between builds, which Package, Product or Upgrade GUIDS, if any need to change when this occurs to avoid this issue?
0 Kudos