cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kovalenko
Level 6

Disable Remove and Modify

Hello,

Is there a way to disable Repair and Modify at all?

I can remove links for Repair and Modify from Control Panel, but if the installer is launched after installation, there are basically three options there: Modify, Repair and Remove. I would like to remove these ones.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(12) Replies
KathyMorey
Level 10

What kind of project are you using?
0 Kudos
Kovalenko
Level 6

Basic MSI.

Please note that I can remove these button from Add or Remove Programs from Control Panel. I need to disable them when setup is run after installation (in maintenance mode).
0 Kudos
gkriggs
Level 6

I would like to know how to do this also; except in my case I just need to get rid of the 'Modify' option and leave the 'Repair' and 'Remove' options. My Basic MSI project only has one feature so it doesn't make sense to offer the Modify option.

In the Installation Designer, if I goto Installation Information/General Information/Add or Remove Programs, I selected "Disable Change Button" and it no longer appears in the control panel add remove programs. However, the modify option still shows up when you run the setup.exe program, which is annoying.

-- Greg
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Could you modify the MaintenanceType dialog box in the dialog editor?
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

I have done both of these. To disable "Modify" only, I modified the dialog (as Robert suggested) to remove the maintenance option altogether. There is also a default property in the Property Manager that you'll have to reset. (I forget what it's called exactly - _IsMaintenance or something like that.)

To disable both Modify and Repair, I took the maintenance dialog out of the dialog sequence altogether, and went from MaintenanceWelcome right to ReadyToRemove. (I think that's what the dialogs are called.
0 Kudos
gkriggs
Level 6

I created a clone of the MaintenanceType dialog becuase I wanted a backup I could go to if I needed the original back. However, I noticed that when I delete the Modify radio button it disappears off of both the original and the clone MaintenanceType dialogs. So it seems the clone dialog doesn't clone the controls on the dialog. Why do the modify, repair, and remove radio button names start with underscores (e.g. _isMaintenance1)? Why don't the radio buttons show up in the Dialog Behavior, Conditions tab? I was hoping I could disable the modify radio button using a Disable Action with Condition 1.
--Greg
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

As I understand it, the cloned dialog is behaving the way it was designed. I believe it is intended that way so that you can handle events that MSI doesn't natively catch, like reacting to the input on a textbox. You can show the dialog and its clone in a loop until the input is correct, and then move on to a different dialog. Any changes made to one are echoed on the clone.

I think what you need to do is make a copy, or create a new dialog and copy all of the controls you want onto it.
0 Kudos
westhusing
Level 6

Is there any different way to disable the modify button in an Installscript MSI?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you're asking about the radio button in the installer UI, perhaps modify SdWelcomeMaint in the dialog editor?
0 Kudos
westhusing
Level 6

Yes, but how do I simply eliminate that one radio button. The GUI will not allow me to delete the one radio button...only the whole group of three.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Perhaps right-click the RadioButtonGroup control containing the three individual buttons and select Send to Back; then delete the radio button, text, and icon; and then bring the group back to the front?

(It might want a bit more finesse than that, but that should help as a start.)
0 Kudos
westhusing
Level 6

That worked! Thanks!
0 Kudos