cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thanatos83
Level 5

Diference of return process...

Hi!

What is the diference for each one of the two options Asynchronous and Synchronous?, for example (No wait for completion) and (Wait for exit code) or (check exit code) and (Ignores exit code)???

• Asynchronous (No wait for completion)
• Asynchronous (Wait for exit code)
• Synchronous (Check exit code)
• Synchronous (Ignores exit code)

thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Perhaps this explanation in the Windows Installer documentation would be helpful:
The Windows Installer processes custom actions as a separate thread from the main installation. During synchronous execution of a custom action, the installer waits for the thread of the custom action to complete before continuing the main installation. During asynchronous execution, the installer runs the custom action simultaneously as the current installation continues. Authors of custom actions must therefore be aware of any asynchronous threads that may be making changes to the installation database between function calls.

In particular, calls to MsiGetTargetPath and MsiSetTargetPath should be avoided in asynchronous custom actions. Instead use MsiGetProperty to obtain a target path. Bulk database operations such as import, export, and transform operations should be avoided in any type of custom action.
0 Kudos
thanatos83
Level 5

Thanks Debbiel, I needed this information to this:

I include in my project a directx installation manually adding the directx folder to section "support files".

well, i've created a property to store a full path of my directx in custom action using "Set Property" and created "EXE" too to run directx in silent mode in command line.

but this executed sequence action runs after "Cost Finalize" and Synchronous (check exit code), well i launch the install setup and runs well but when i uninstall my product executed directx too and its strange.

How to resolve this???, i'm using a InstallScript MSI Installer. :confused:
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

The typical way to add DirectX support to an InstallScript MSI project is to use the Redistributables view and add the DirectX object. Did you try that?
0 Kudos
thanatos83
Level 5

Hi!

Yes but when it finish installation in the progress bar i see this:

Copying DirectX file: '*.dll' (0 out of 100)

1º well, this means the directx is installing or only copied to target system?
2º is there a mode to run in silent mode?

thanks to support me 🙂
0 Kudos