cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maforshaw
Level 5

Deprecation of InstallScript Objects

The release notes state that:

In a future release, InstallShield will no longer be able to create or consume InstallScript objects, and no predefined InstallScript objects will be provided.

It also looks like none of the provided objects have been updated for 2011.

Is anyone else annoyed by this? I do not see Prerequisites as a complete replacement for InstallShield Objects.

I have created lots of Objects for use with our InstallScript installations, the main reason being so that I can reuse shared code between them. Objects trigger many of the same events as the main installation so they are ideal for shared code.

Since Objects can be associated with a Feature, I can also control if they are installed based on user selections which I believe is not possible with Prerequisites and InstallScript.

Looks like we will be cancelling our maintenance contract.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
Server
Level 5

We even switching from InstallScript and re-implement all installations to Basic MSI. This is a way to go from my point of view.

Our installations now are based on Basic MSI InstallShield and WIX DTF C# custom actions.
Flexibility is the same or better than in case of InstallScript. And it is easier to debug. Also use of C# allows us to unify developer competence to one language and use same code as application built with.

Sooner or later some technologies die.
0 Kudos
maforshaw
Level 5

Server wrote:
We even switching from InstallScript and re-implement all installations to Basic MSI.

I guess it depends how many installations you have to re-write and how much time. This is not an option for us.
0 Kudos
Server
Level 5

We doing so step by step and product by product. We have a significant amount of InstallScript-based products that nobody want to support.

You shouldn't do everything in one approach. But may start from some minor application for example.
0 Kudos
chirags
Level 3

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the note and raising this concern. We definitely value your opinion. The note in the release notes was more of a proactive measure by our team but we have not finalized any plans around supporting InstallScript Objects.

We still have a lot of customers using InstallScript projects and we continue to enhance our support for it. As you might have noticed, with InstallShield 2011 we added lot of features to enhance our support for InstallScript including Unicode support and new script editor and we will continue doing so in future releases.

Also prerequisite support provides a more robust functionality for creating bulletproof installs and we will continue to enhance our prerequisite support for InstallScript.

I will also be glad to have a conversation with you to understand the shortcomings of prerequisites as opposed to Objects so that we can bridge that gap in future releases and help our customers use newer technology. If you will be interested in having a phone or email conversation, feel free to send me a private message and we can take it from there.

Regards,
Chirag
0 Kudos
maforshaw
Level 5

Hi Chirag

Thanks, PM sent.

Regards

Michael
0 Kudos
mitutoyo
Level 4

Agree with Michael on this, particularly his concern about dynamically determining the need to install an object based on feature selection. It does not appear we have the same flexibility with prerequisites. Or perhaps if we do, a documented approach from InstallShield regarding transitioning from merge modules/objects to prerequisites would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
bbrriijj
Level 3

Hi chirags,

In order to get around a setup.inx size limitation (1Mb I believe), we re-wrote our entire installation and moved code to objects.

It looks like the size limit has been fixed with the recent releases. However, I was wondering if there is any possibility of having an install on demand feature for installscript projects (MSI already has this). It would really be useful.

Thanks
bbrriijj

chirags wrote:
Hi Michael,

Thank you for the note and raising this concern. We definitely value your opinion. The note in the release notes was more of a proactive measure by our team but we have not finalized any plans around supporting InstallScript Objects.

We still have a lot of customers using InstallScript projects and we continue to enhance our support for it. As you might have noticed, with InstallShield 2011 we added lot of features to enhance our support for InstallScript including Unicode support and new script editor and we will continue doing so in future releases.

Also prerequisite support provides a more robust functionality for creating bulletproof installs and we will continue to enhance our prerequisite support for InstallScript.

I will also be glad to have a conversation with you to understand the shortcomings of prerequisites as opposed to Objects so that we can bridge that gap in future releases and help our customers use newer technology. If you will be interested in having a phone or email conversation, feel free to send me a private message and we can take it from there.

Regards,
Chirag
0 Kudos
operaza
Level 4

Why removing the Merge modules objects and the features they provide from the Installscript based project model instead of improving it?
Merge module objects provide fuctionality to dynamically link merge modules produced by other tools that allow collaboration, for example WIX. And it was the only option I could find to really allow collaboration for this type of projects when combined with some transformations to the ISFeatureMergeModules and ISMergeModule tables in the .ism project to fit adding the merge modules automatically in an automated builds environment.

Why flexera opted for removing merge modules support for their most flexible project type (installscript), instead of adding Merge Modules to the automation inteface (that could be achieved by simply modifying the ISFeatureMergeModules and ISMergeModule tables) that would bring a lot of value when it comes to collaboration.

I share Michael Forshaw concern, how would you achieve the object - feature association functionality with prerequisites in IS Installscript 2012 ?
The only way I see it is by completelly programming the feature - object logic in a script that run as a prerequisite, which doesn't worth the upgrade to 2012

There are type of projects like the "No Maintenance" ones, that could be used to deploy stuff internally etc... that don't mind the upgrade/maintenance issues with the merge module object in those scenarios.
0 Kudos