cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcstar
Level 3

Custom Actions on Vista UAC issues

I have a couple of issues but both pertain to Custom Actions and Vista with UAC.
First, I have an exe com server which I need to register during install and then use the com server during the install process. So it is currently done as a direct call to the exe followed by /regserver, so INSTALLDIR\filename.exe /regserver (no slash really between Installdir and filename). Without UAC and on XP this all works fine.
Enable UAC and it fails. I have tried running it as Deferred Execution in System Context but that fails as well, differently but still fails.

Second, I am trying to utilize the Launch Program at end of Installation and on Vista with UAC it fails. Our program requires Admin Privileges and it does have a correct Manifest file, it runs fine if you launch it directly. Again I tried setting the Custom Action that launches the desired program to Defferred Execution in System Context but it fails.

The installer itself is set to run with Admin Privileges.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
jcstar
Level 3

jcstar wrote:
I have a couple of issues but both pertain to Custom Actions and Vista with UAC.
First, I have an exe com server which I need to register during install and then use the com server during the install process. So it is currently done as a direct call to the exe followed by /regserver, so INSTALLDIR\filename.exe /regserver (no slash really between Installdir and filename). Without UAC and on XP this all works fine.
Enable UAC and it fails. I have tried running it as Deferred Execution in System Context but that fails as well, differently but still fails.

Second, I am trying to utilize the Launch Program at end of Installation and on Vista with UAC it fails. Our program requires Admin Privileges and it does have a correct Manifest file, it runs fine if you launch it directly. Again I tried setting the Custom Action that launches the desired program to Defferred Execution in System Context but it fails.

The installer itself is set to run with Admin Privileges.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

Still having issues with this if anyone has any input it could be helpful. Even if it's not the same situation just some help in getting something to actually work using the "in System Context" option would be great.

Thanks,
Jon
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

How, specifically, does it fail? For some pointers, please see this newsletter tip from Stefan Krueger (PDF): http://www.macrovision.com/webdocuments/PDF/is_vista.pdf?link_id=productsTipsTricks.
0 Kudos
jcstar
Level 3

Robert,
thanks for that link. One key problem I'm having is that we have a COM server which is an Exe that I need to use during install so I need to register it during the install process. So I was just trying to call it directly once the files have been installed by [InstallDir]filename.exe /regserver and on Vista with UAC on this fails with a MSI Script error, "Error 2762. Cannot write script record. Transaction not started.". So I tried changing it to run as Deferred in System Context and set it to run just after Publish Product under the Execute Sequence. It fails there as well, sorry I don't have that error.

The next issue I'm having is Launching our program at the end of Install using the default method provided by IS. On Vista with UAC on this fails. Again I did try setting it to Deferred in System Context but still it would not work.

Thanks,
Jon
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Error 2762. Cannot write script record. Transaction not started" - I had been getting this error message recently. This link helped me solve the problem: http://makemsi-manual.dennisbareis.com/2762.htm

Hope this is of some use to you.
0 Kudos