cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jstarbird
Level 5

Custom Action Conditional - NOT Installed --- not working

I've looked for this and I seem to be doing this correctly however the custom actions I am using Not Installed as a conditional statement on will still launch even when the product is already installed.

The custom actions in question are all run after Cost Finalize and while there is an additional piece to the conditional statements they are AND's not OR's so this should be evaluting to a False when the product is installed.
Is Not Installed no longer valid? I did noticed that Installed does not appear in the Condition Builder property drop down but all docs say that is what to use. This is for a Basic MSI project and I'm having the custom actions run during the Install Exec sequence.

I have verified that yes the product is installed and that the product codes are the same so there isn't an obvious reason for this not to work, at least to me.

Thanks,
J
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
jstarbird
Level 5

Found that I needed to move the custom actions to Deferred mode then the use of Not Installed worked correctly.
Note though that Installed still does not appear in the Condition Builder propery drop down.

Thanks,
J
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

you won't see "Installed" in the drop down, because that's populated from the design-time property table. [Installed] does not exist until it is set during runtime. I have, however used it in Immediate mode CAs without a problem. well, once i had a problem, but that's because i was trying to user INSTALLED instead of Installed. 😛
0 Kudos
jstarbird
Level 5

Thanks for that info.
As to the use. Before I finally moved it to Deferred I had verified I was using with correct case and it still was not catching correctly.
I was trying to use it in Install Exec and had it a few steps after Cost Initialize.

In any event moving the items actually didn't make a difference in my project and it made them work so all is good for me.

Thanks,
J
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

glad to help. what's really odd is that the Installed property gets set before any of the custom actions get launched. it must be getting set by msiexec before any actions are executed. if you need to move some of your actions around and need to revisit this issue in the future, i'd suggest looking at the msi log to see if the Installed property is getting reset somewhere.
0 Kudos