cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DACarr
Level 3

Creating a new project as a copy of another ok? GUIDs?

I have a new product which has a very similar configuration (features, files, shortcuts, etc.) to an existing InstallShield 'Basic MSI Project'. I want to be able to copy the old project and make small changes, rather than rebuild from scratch.

Given the extensive use of GUIDs to tag things like components (as seen opening the XML ISM , is it sufficient to only change the Product Code and Upgrade Code (via Installation Information | General Information | Product Properties)? Will there be any conflict when I try to install both of these products on the same machine?

Thx in advance for the advice.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
KathyMorey
Level 10

If the resources in both projects are always targeted for the same directory, then you should be okay, although you might be better off putting shared items in merge modules and consuming them instead of duplicating all your components.

However, if the files and other resources may be installed to different places by the two products, then you need to change all the component codes in the copied project.

If you haven't already, you might want to read the Microsoft doco about the component rules and the consequences of breaking them before you make any decisions.
0 Kudos
DACarr
Level 3

Thx Kathy for the reply. I appreciate the advice. I believe all of the shared files are 3rd party files (e.g. OCXes)...but better safe than sorry, so I'll likely create a new project from scratch, creating each side-by-side on my two monitors.

Best regards,
David
0 Kudos