cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SaravananD
Level 2

Copying 2 set of files at same time

I am using Installshield2008. While installing we are copying lot of files to the target folder in pc. Since files are lot it takes time in this process. Files are text files,html, etc..

whether any divide/threading is possible like we can have 2 process running at copy files, one copying one set of files say text files and other copying another set in background say html files at the same time to the target folder

Whether zipping files and copying will make faster..we can unzip at the end of installation

let me know if any inputs on this
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Gvarma
Level 7

SaravananD wrote:
I am using Installshield2008. While installing we are copying lot of files to the target folder in pc. Since files are lot it takes time in this process. Files are text files,html, etc..

whether any divide/threading is possible like we can have 2 process running at copy files, one copying one set of files say text files and other copying another set in background say html files at the same time to the target folder

Whether zipping files and copying will make faster..we can unzip at the end of installation

let me know if any inputs on this

As such IS doesnt do multi-threading or processing...only option you have is to inflate and deflate files.

you could have set of zip files , say a1.zip and a2.zip , you could copy a1.zip file and deflate it and move on without waiting for deflate process to complete to deflate(unzip) a2.zip.

however there are few drawbacks of this approach, first if u were to make changes to any of the file (being deflated by either a1.zip and a2.zip) you wouldnt know when the file is going to be available etc cause u will not have any control over unziping process.

if you do your changes at the end of installation, still you couldnt be sure if file that you need to make your changes to has been deflated.

but something to start wit.

HTH
0 Kudos