cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhagerbaumer
Level 3

Convert InstallShield Project to MSI?

I'm trying to convert an older install shield project (2007) to an MSI project per customer requirements.

Based on the website "Easily convert legacy installations into MSI packages—With InstallShield Repackager, you can easily create MSI packages." I made a recommendation for buying the 2010 Premier version.

It doesn't seem to do the job - am I missing something??

I found this thread from 2006: http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=http--communityacressocom-archive-indexphpt-158452html&sliceId=&docTypeID=DT_MACROVISIONCOMMUNITY_1_1&dialogID=67931115&stateId=0 0 67933050
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi There,

Repackager would indeed be the tool for this. Basically, it has a few methods of converting non-MSI project types into MSI projects:

--Snapshot Mode: this basically is a before-and-after diff of system changes wrapped into a project file.

--Installation Monitoring: This actually watches the setup.exe file to see what changes it makes to the system and wraps them into a project.

--InstallScript Scan Converter: This reads some information from the installscript project itself to help the conversion process into an MSI project. However, custom script code is not captured, just the files, registry data and feature structure.

Regardless of the Repackaging method used, it may still be necessary to migrate your *.rul files into custom actions.

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
rhagerbaumer
Level 3

If found this in the "Repackaging Options Comparison" help screen

Product:
IS Professional 5.5 to 7.x

Repackaging Method:
Repackaging Wizard
Installation Monitoring or Snapshot and SmartScan Wizard

Result:
Repackager project with feature delineation, including registry entries and shortcuts.

----

I guess I was looking for a command to "Open an old InstallShield Project and Save As MSI".

I went ahead and rebuilt the installer from scratch using the VB Project Scanner tool.
0 Kudos