cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ManojKJ
Level 3

Convert InstallScript Project (SINGLE SETUP.EXE) to MSI installer

Hi,

We have InstallShield 2009 Premier product. The setup that have generated is an InstallScript Project which generates a single EXE.

The customer needs an MSI installer package also.

All options under Project->Project Converters are greyed out. We downloaded the repackager tool and even that does not show any option to convert a InstallScript (.ISM) project to a project that can generate an MSI installer.

Please help!

Regards.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MSIYER
Level 8

We downloaded the repackager tool and even that does not show any option to convert a InstallScript (.ISM) project to a project that can generate an MSI installer

First of all, .ism is just a project file. For an analogy, it is similar to the .sln file of the Visual Studio IDE. Its conversion is not going to give you an MSI. You need to create an MSI project for that. Conversions are not possible.
0 Kudos
ManojKJ
Level 3

So there is no conversion option from SETUP.EXE to a SINGLE MSI ? I know Repackager can take snapshots before and after an install or detect system changes during an install to create MSI - but can it take a complete InstallScript project (ISM, RUL files etc) and create a SINGLE MSI ?
0 Kudos
MSIYER
Level 8

NO and NO as answers for both the questions. No direct conversion is possible.

But you can surely install your app using the current Installscript setup and use one of the repackaging tools to create an MSI.
0 Kudos
ManojKJ
Level 3

The problem which such repackaging tools (which either take before/after snapshots or watch for file/registry changes during an install) is that if the SETUP.EXE behavior is different on different OSes or platforms, then the repacking may not work.

Is there an InstallShield project that creates both a SINGLE EXE and a SINGLE MSI ? I know one can use Basic MSI project - but I guess that won't allow the level of scripts that InstallScript project may allow - but I may be wrong !
0 Kudos