Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrea
Level 3

Conditional SQLLogin dialog

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with the sql login dialog, I try to explain:
I would like to make the sqllogin dialog dependant on the features that the user selects to install, is that possible?

Here is the scenario: (sorry for the long explanation)
I've created a basic msi project with Installshield 2008 Professional.
The application to be installed is composed by 3 parts (that sometimes run on different machines): one web application, 8 windows services, and a database.

I've created 3 features in my setup project, in order to allow the user to choose which parts to install.

I use a 'sqlconnection' to run some scripts (that create the db, login and users), they can be run on a sqlserver that optionally the user installs on the local machine as a prerequisite or it can be on a sql server already present on another machine. The sql login dialog box works fine in order to make the user choose which sqlserver. The script components all belong to the 'Database' feature.

Here comes the problem: sometimes the user doesn't want to install the database feature at all, and he can do this by selecting custom setup in the 'Setup type' dialog.
But the SqlLogin dialog comes BEFORE the setup type dialog, so he always has to choose a connection and if there isn't any available the setup cannot proceed.

I would like to make the sqllogin dialog dependant on the features that the user wants to install, is that possible?

Thank you very much, sorry again for the long explanation, my english is not very good...

Andrea
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
alphacz
Level 5

I've never reordered the SQLLogin, so I'm not sure if there are lingering issues that might be caused by moving it but...

Perhaps you could move the SQLLogin dialog so that it comes after the Setup type dialog? You'd just do this by changing the condition on the "Next" button of Setup type (In dialog behavior) to go to SQLLogin. But you'd also want a condition on it; something like &Database=3. &Database=3 basically means, if the "Database" is installed, do this action. You'd need to reorder the other dialogs too.

Is that what you were looking for?
0 Kudos
andrea
Level 3

Thank you for your answer, I'll try as soon as I can and I'll let you know if it worked.
0 Kudos
andrea
Level 3

I tried to modify the 'next' (and 'back') buttons as you suggested and it worked fine, with conditions on the database feature.
Now I have the 'sql login' dialog after the 'setup type', and it appears only if the user chooses custom setup and then selects the database feature, or if the user chooses the default setup.

Thank you very much!

Andrea
0 Kudos
hmorales
Level 2

andrea wrote:
I tried to modify the 'next' (and 'back') buttons as you suggested and it worked fine, with conditions on the database feature.
Now I have the 'sql login' dialog after the 'setup type', and it appears only if the user chooses custom setup and then selects the database feature, or if the user chooses the default setup.

Thank you very much!

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

I wonder how did you manage to not install the pre-requisite at the beginning and instead whenever the user selects to do so.... Is that something you attached to your feature?

Thanks!.
0 Kudos