cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MattQVI
Level 8

Condition for a subinstall that allows for fresh install, repair and upgrade

Currently, I am working on a InstallShield 2008 project that has one or more nested installs called from it. I am trying to develop an Install Exec Condition that lends itself for a fresh install, repair and upgrade. I made sure that each sub-install (nested MSI) has a new product/package code. It seems to not upgrade because of the condition to launch the nested MSI.

Currently I have: Not Installed OR (REINSTALL><"ALL" AND REMOVE<>"ALL"). This takes care of everything but upgrade.

Now I have researched creating patches and upgrades, but not sure how to go about it since the upgrade process revolves around these nested MSI's.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Gvarma
Level 7

MattQVI wrote:
Currently, I am working on a InstallShield 2008 project that has one or more nested installs called from it. I am trying to develop an Install Exec Condition that lends itself for a fresh install, repair and upgrade.

Currently I have: Not Installed OR (REINSTALL><"ALL" AND REMOVE<>"ALL"). This takes care of everything but upgrade.

Now I have researched creating patches and upgrades, but not sure how to go about it since the upgrade process revolves around these nested MSI's.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Matt,

if you are using MSI project then you probably get away with it without getting involved with "CONSTANT" condition. Here is what I would do..

1.I create a Radio button called Update.
2. associate a PROPERTY with it (obvious).
3. I would create a Feature/Component called UpdateApp (or whatevr) and store all update related files under this feature component.
4. component will have PROPERTY as its condition (e.g PROPERTY ="updated"), you can also specify any registry chage etc and associate it with this compoenent.
5. I will assign the value "update" to property once user selects update radio button.
6. rest of components should have PROPERTY != "update".

Now if user selects update then ONLY update to you application would be applied, however you may have to take care some of the "hidden" condition which depends on your application.

HTH
0 Kudos