cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rguggisberg
Level 13

Components View in Express

Hi,

We have someone at my company who is working on a project using IS 2014 Express. That project has an orphaned component (no content) that we need to get rid of . No, we can't just leave it. It happens to have a destination of AppDataFolder. So when the customer installs as Administrator and later a non-admin user attempts to run the app it triggers a reinstall (because it can't access the folder... not that it needs to; but it tries).

I have upgraded to IS 2019 Professional and I can look at the project and see the component in the Components view or with the Direct Editor. Apparently Components are not exposed to the UI in Express. I don't think there is a way for me to change the file in IS 2019 and pass it back to him for use in IS 2014 Express... is there?

How can we get rid of this offensive component?

Thanks,
Ron

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Unfortunately if you edit and save an Installshield project it can not then be opened in an earlier version of Installshield.

In addition Installshield Express does not provide the functionality to view components or the MSI tables.

Your solution here would be to either upgrade your colleague to the same version you are using or use a MSI editor application to modify the MSI tables directly.

An application such as Microsoft's "Orca.exe" would allow you to open the .ise file and remove the component from the projects component table. 

You should also check the "Directory", "FeatureComponents", "File" and "ISComponentExtended" tables to make sure there is no data specific to the component in those also.

Microsoft Orca.exe:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/orca-exe

0 Kudos