cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Malisk
Level 2

Compile Setup from Visual Studio

I searched these forums and google for 'installshield limited edition compile' and could find no answer for this.

I have InstallShield Limited Edition integrated into Visual Studio 2010 Professional and have created my Setup project through the Project Assistant.

If I right click on the Setup object in the solution explorer, 'Compile' is greyed out. I can't believe the limited edition would not allow you to at least compile the project and I can't find anything on google about that being left out of the limited edition.

Anyone know why this might be blocked?
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Keerthana
Level 8

Hi,

The “compile” option is used for compiling scripts and this compilation happens before the InstallScript code can be called in an installation.

Since InstallShield Limited Edition is used to create simple installers it does not support InstallScript and hence the Compile option is greyed.

This compilation is possible in the other Editions of InstallShield namely Premier and Professional in the InstallScript MSI and InstallScript project types.

Please navigate to the topic “Compiling Scripts” under the InstallShield Limited Edition help for further information on this.

I hope this information helps!
0 Kudos
Malisk
Level 2

Keerthana wrote:
Hi,

The “compile” option is used for compiling scripts and this compilation happens before the InstallScript code can be called in an installation.

Since InstallShield Limited Edition is used to create simple installers it does not support InstallScript and hence the Compile option is greyed.

This compilation is possible in the other Editions of InstallShield namely Premier and Professional in the InstallScript MSI and InstallScript project types.

Please navigate to the topic “Compiling Scripts” under the InstallShield Limited Edition help for further information on this.

I hope this information helps!

Thanks for your reply, however, I must not have been specific enough. I'm not interested in compiling scripts, I just want to actually create (maybe 'publish' is a better word?) my installer for my application, so that I may then install it on the user computer.

I have been publishing using the 'Publish' tab under the project properties for a while and thought I'd try out InstallSheild for more customization. But if I can't create an installer in the limited edition...whats the point?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Keerthana
Level 8

Hello,

I further understand from the word “Publish” that you would like to create an installer. In InstallShield Limited Edition an installer can be created using the build option. On right click of the Setup Object kindly select the “Build” option. On building the project a setup(.exe) is created.

Kindly refer the InstallShield Limited Edition help library for further information on building a project.

You may also have a look at the below video that shows “How InstallShield Limited Edition is used along with Visual Studio” that would help you:

http://www.flexerasoftware.com/products/installshield/ISLE-Getting-Started.htm

I hope I have answered your query!
0 Kudos