cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

Commit Custom Action Question(s)...

Hi All,

Here's my latest scenario/predicament...

We have a 32 bit installation that now has to install some 64 bit parts. I don't have a problem there as the pieces are placed properly based on architecture.

Now, one of these 64 bit pieces is a third party PDF printer driver installer (.exe) that depends on the VC++ 2008 SP1 Runtime, which I'm installing via Merge Modules. However there is problem here in that the Merge Module resources are not available to be properly utilized by the Custom Action that fires the driver installer. This situation is similar to this.. VC++ Runtime Custom Action Dependency

I've tried everything to sidestep this issue: Use the vc-redist .exe from Microsoft (Can't fire from my install because two Windows Installer processes would be running at the same time.), Nested .msi from main install (I can't even get this to fire properly.), etc.

I'm wondering if I can somehow utilize a Commit Custom Action to run if VersionNT64. I'm seeing this as a potential problem as I need everything to be silent with no user interaction. I think when the pdf driver installer is fired on Windows 7, for example, elevation will be required.

This is a challenging one for me. I don't know that I'll be able to pull this one off so end users running 64 bit systems might just have to ensure they have it first.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Much
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Not applicable

Commit CA runs only upon the successful completion of install. So it is helpful to remove any backup that we create for rollback.
You can use the deferred CA with no user impersonate which runs on system context.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

I tried the deferred Custom Action in System Context and that doesn't seem to work either. Coupled with the Merge Modules for VC++, they are not available yet on Vista/Windows for the third party pdf installer to run properly.

I know its not recommended, but I would be willing to run a child .msi to install the required runtimes, but I can't seem to get that working either. If sequenced in the deferred, I think I receive a 1721 error or something to that effect.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Did it sequence after InstallInitialize and before InstallFinalize ? Deferred & Commit are same, Commit executes only on success.
0 Kudos