cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ICE999
Level 5

Com registration

Hi

I have an issue with some dll and ocx files that are not registered. Confusion starts when i noticed that on some test machines it registers as it should, while on others they are not.
If i check the logfiles i see that they are simply skipped but no error message is shown.

Some context info:
I copy some DLL and OCX files to a directory under common components, these need to be registered so i use the "extract at build" option.
If i edit the builded MSI, i can see that the Class, ProgID table are populated with the extracted info.
Manual registering the files works fine.
The files are all in separate components and these are attached to only 1 feature.
I have the impression that the registration is not done on machines were an older version of the program was installed and registration of those files were already done (in another location).

I thought that the normal behaviour would be if the files were copied, the registration would always be done. Obviously this is not the case and i don't know the rules of this behaviour and i don't have error messages to start solving this problem.

Is there anyone who can explain the normal behavior and therefor explaining why this is happening?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
ICE999
Level 5

It remains painfully quite in this post ... 😞
0 Kudos
thepeter
Level 7

When you install the application, what are the installed/request/action states of the components?
0 Kudos
ICE999
Level 5

Hi

Coming from the failed register log:
******.dll; Installed: Absent; Request: Local; Action: Local

These states are the same on the machine where the registration of these dll's worked.

Thanks
0 Kudos
ICE999
Level 5

OK, little update

It seems that the ISCmdBld.exe tool has a problem with this extract com at build option.
We found out that the problems were related to the automated build and if we look at the logs, the extract is not done properly (warning -4354, should be an error in my p.o.v.).
I'm going to search now why, if anyone has experience with this or a decent tip, please post it here.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos