cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yeshman
Level 3

Com extraction issues.

I have a bunch of c++ COM components, that were recently migrated into VS2005 and have been rebuilt with the /clr flag. Installshield is now unable to extract COM information from any of them. I get warning -4354.

I have manually registered these and they are putting COM information into the registry, so I'm not sure why they would be causing this warning (its an error in my book if installshield can't get the COM info). Is there any way to find out what Installshields objection is? This was also happening with version 12.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Not applicable

Since you're using the /clr switch, it may be more appropriate to use the .NET COM Interop functionality instead.
0 Kudos
yeshman
Level 3

presumably, but this is the way they have been done. I don't think any of the code has actually been transitioned to be managed, just the compiler switch changed. So I don't think it could be made COM visible via .NET.

But all that aside, why would the extraction be failing here?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Have you tried running regsvr32 against your DLL? Does that succeed?

According to the /clr switch doc, it attempts to produce managed code wherever possible (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa712815(vs.71).aspx).

Have you tried simply removing this switch?
0 Kudos
yeshman
Level 3

these guys are exes. /regserver and /unregserver seem to result in the correct information being added and removed from the registry.

We can't remove the /clr switch because its needed for the managed interfaces built for these components. But we also require the COM interface.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Interesting 🙂 It may be helpful to run the utility RegSpyUi.exe from the Support directory underneath where you've installed InstallShield (C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS2008 by default) and see if that produces some useful information.
0 Kudos
yeshman
Level 3

I've tried doing this but it just returns without an error. Is there any information on running this utility? What parameters it should take, etc.
0 Kudos
yeshman
Level 3

tried using that tool. It returns no information for the executable.
0 Kudos