cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rguggisberg
Level 13

Changing Text for Dialog

Hi,
I have an InstallScript MSI Project. The SQLServerSelectLogin(EX)2 dialog has a ‘Browse’ button (ControlId_31) for "Database server that you are installing to:” and another ‘Browse’ button (ControlId_17818) for “Name of database catalog:”. Both of them have bad English in the text “…you like to target.” that I would like to change to “…you would like to target.” I can easily change the text for the first one in the SQLBrowse dialog but I don’t find a dialog or the text string anywhere for the second 'Browse' button ("Browse - Database Catalog"). Does anyone know where I would find that dialog or text string? I used the 'String Editor' and do not find that string via search.
Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

Michael would be able to tell you for sure but I suspect that there is default text held in the InstallShield folder somewhere and you can edit the text file or xml file. Try doing a search through your application folder for the bad text and see what comes up. Sorry I cannot be more specific as this comes from a vague recollection from many many many years ago 🙂
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Thanks Dan. I tried searching .txt and .xml files in the InstallShield folder. Conspicuously
C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2013\Languages\1033.txt contains correct text for

IDS_SQLBROWSE_INTRO From the list of servers below, select the database server you would like to target.
IDS_SQLBROWSE_INTRO_DB From the list of catalog names below, select the database catalog you would like to target.

However, these are apparently NOT where the text comes from, because the text is correct here.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Well isn't that a pain in the butt.

I was just kicking around a build machine, and since this is an InstallScript based UI, InstallScript MSI, I wonder if the SQLServerLoginDlg.rul or SQLServerSelectLoginDlg.rul would play a part in this. I do not think you are referencing the SQLBrowse based on your description. I don't know if this will help any at all but it is something to examine.

Good luck. 🙂
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Thanks Dan.
Yes SQLBrowse is being used for the 1st browse button (server), and that one has the correct text. I don't see what dialog is used (I have looked at them all) for the second browse button. It is very similar, but for the database instead of the server. SQLServerSelectLoginDlg.rul correlates to the main dialog, but the text is not in there.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

A lot of the strings for InstallScript UI are built into isres.dll (redist\language independent\i386\_isres_0x####.dll). If the function you call to show the dialog does not have parameters that control the string you want to change, you will have to use other means to customize it. I don't do enough InstallScript work, so I'm hazy on whether that's easiest through editing the dialog, or overriding the function and calling CtrlSetText, but it should totally be possible.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Thanks Michael.
You are right. I found the string "s e l e c t t h e d a t a b a s e s e r v e r y o u l i k e t o t a r g e t ." in C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2013\Redist\Language Independent\i386\_isres_0x0409.dll. I would edit the dialog, but there does not appear to be a dialog dedicated to the 'database browse' as there is for the 'server browse'. However, CtrlSetText looks promising. I will try that. Thanks for the tip.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Don't think I can use CtrlSetText because there is no "Browse - Database Catalog" dialog like there is for "Browse - Database Server" (SQLBrowse).
DialogId_10111 is the culprit; however, it does not appear in the Dialogs view. DialogId_10111 appears in the Dialog table, but does not have a name... so I can't use CtrlSetText.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

Edit:
Ahhhh... I see that DialogId_10111 is used by BOTH "Browse - Database Server" and "Browse - Database Catalog". Don't see where/what controls the title/text change though.
0 Kudos