cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CoreyZ
Level 5

Change target directory on "modify"

My installer package has a bit of a complex directory structure due to our product. Some features are installed to a base c:\css\ folder while the new .Net code gets installed to a directory existing in c:\Program Files\CSS\XXXXX\.

Since the base C:\CSS\ folder can be different depending on the client's environment, I have multiple directory properties depending on the component and the feature selected. For example I have a feature that only installs to the C:\CSS\ folder while another feature installs 1 component to the C:\CSS\ folder and the other components are installed to the C:\Program Files\CSS\XXXX\ folder.

In order to keep the clients from having to continuously remember or enter/select their default locations, I have those properties save to a registry key and each time an installer launches, it checks and populates that property value with the value in the registry if it finds one.

Due to the mix of destination directories for components, I have had to disable (not visible) the change button on the custom install dialog. Instead I have modified the "Destination Folder" dialog by adding not only a display for the default [INSTALLDIR] (c:\program files\css\xxxx\) but also a display for the [CSSFOLDER] (c:\css\). Both fields are able to be modified with the corresponding "change" button.

Now... on to the problem...

The initial install works flawlessly as far as I can tell. Its the "modify" that causes problems. It seems that as I launch into maintenance mode with the install package, I go to "Modify" and have it navigate next to my "Destination Folder" dialog again. Here it reads from the registry the last installed location properties and I can modify them... however if I add another feature that gets installed to the [CSSFOLDER] location, it still gets installed to the original [CSSFOLDER] property's folder instead of the folder I changed it to after entering "Modify". I also noticed that on the custom setup dialog box, it will not display the destination folder for each feature as it does on the "Install". Is there a setting I am perhaps overlooking? Or is that just an innate feature of the windows installer?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Changing the target directory of a Windows Installer package in maintenance mode is not supported:
Why can't I change the target directory path during a Maintenance Installation?

Unfortunately, there aren't really any ways around this except for installing as a major upgrade (or uninstalling/reinstalling for the same version).
0 Kudos
CoreyZ
Level 5

joshstechnij wrote:
Changing the target directory of a Windows Installer package in maintenance mode is not supported:
Why can't I change the target directory path during a Maintenance Installation?

Unfortunately, there aren't really any ways around this except for installing as a major upgrade (or uninstalling/reinstalling for the same version).

Darn... thats what I had figured. Ill have to note that in our deployment documentation so I dont get flack back lol.
0 Kudos