cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keleman
Level 4

Change File version and other properties of setup.exe

HI,

After creating setup.exe and if you right click and select Property then on Version's Tab, there are list of items that are displayed like, File version, Company Name, File Version, Internal Name, Product Name, Product version in the list box. I want to change this information as per my project.

Can anybody hass any idea on this.

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Gvarma
Level 7

keleman wrote:
HI,

After creating setup.exe and if you right click and select Property then on Version's Tab, there are list of items that are displayed like, File version, Company Name, File Version, Internal Name, Product Name, Product version in the list box. I want to change this information as per my project.

Can anybody hass any idea on this.

Thanks in advance.

These properties are hard coded, the only way you could change these properties is thru meta editor.

HTH
0 Kudos
keleman
Level 4

thanks , i found the result in the knowledge base of the community.
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

keleman wrote:
thanks , i found the result in the knowledge base of the community.

Perhaps it would be wise to share your "findings"... so rest of the community could be benefited?
0 Kudos
gbaltazar
Level 6

I use a free utility called Resource Hacker. Opening the setup.exe from within this utility will allow you to change the version information. This can also be automated by saving the versioninfo as an .rc, convert it to .res, then embed it back onto the setup.exe (still using Resource Hacker). Do note that after modifying the setup.exe in this way, any digital signature applied to it is invalidated. You must re-sign the exe.

I realize this is a rather crude approach, but we are constrained by the limitations of the current InstallShield paradigm...:o
0 Kudos