cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aurick86
Level 2

Chained MSI - change install parameters

Hello, this is may first post on this forum so please be gentle.

I've recently come across the IsChainPackage table in a MSI we are trying to deploy (IBM Client Access 7.1) ...
I've searched the web trying to find out different things about the table.. and so far I still didn't find the info i've been looking for (table, table-columns description)

For my particular case we want to deploy the app totally silent, no UI, "/qn" equivalent. I can't seem to get to the UI in Installation Designer to be able to modify the install parameters of the chained-MSIs (think this is because it is already an msi), in an .ISM project i can see the "Releases" menu under "Media" and can change the install parameters.

My question:
Is there any way of modifying in the "IsChainPackage" table like in the "Option" column ... so the parent-MSI will pass different parameters (/qb! or /qn) to the chained-MSI??

Can any body point me in a direction to get my desired design?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I think this whitepaper discusses this a bit. But you can also just watch what InstallShield puts in the table in a new basic msi project as you twiddle the options.
0 Kudos
aurick86
Level 2

Hello, that white paper doesn't realy tell much on the subject.

How is it posible for an entire table to exist without information on it?
I know i might find out something if i just keep trying... that's not the point.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Ah, indeed, the whitepaper had less information than I remembered. The paragraph "Small and minor upgrades do not work by default" is most of it, and it also links to this thread with some more information: http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=183641

But it leaves out the numeric details, so watch the values in the Options column of the ISChainPackages table as you change the UI setting in a sample basic msi project. Or just configure it how you want, and copy the values to your real file.
0 Kudos
overlordchin
Level 6

MichaelU wrote:
Ah, indeed, the whitepaper had less information than I remembered. The paragraph "Small and minor upgrades do not work by default" is most of it, and it also links to this thread with some more information: http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=183641

But it leaves out the numeric details, so watch the values in the Options column of the ISChainPackages table as you change the UI setting in a sample basic msi project. Or just configure it how you want, and copy the values to your real file.

Can anyone elaborate on those numeric details? I know 16 is supposed to be for ecoreinstallall or something along those lines. what are all the options supported and the corresponding arguments that need to be passed to make them all work correctly. I desperately need to be able to send a repair command to a chained msi
0 Kudos