cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomCblackwell
Level 4

Cause for extracted .MSI's to remain on machine after uninstall

What are the possible configuration causes for extracted .msi files from a Setup.exe to remain on a pc after an uninstall?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @thomCblackwell

By default,  all msi installed will be stored in C:\windows\Installer path by windows

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/deployment/missing-windows-installer-cache

Where you are seeing this files are left behind post uninstall,

files Installed by installer are not removed meaning installed path(C:\test exists post install as well) or ARP entries still present post uninstall ?

0 Kudos

The extracted .msi's are being left behind both in the MSI cache and in C:\Users\MyUserNameHere\AppData\Local\Temp\

0 Kudos

Also I've noticed that the uninstall itself isn't as clean as it used to be, its leaving behind Start menu items. Note that I am using a chained .msi and that .msi also recently changed so perhaps the issue is there? 

Note I am not expecting you can "solve" this - what I'm hoping is you can provide information on what things can cause this behavior e.g. "If <this> errors out then you could see the above behavior" so I can troubleshoot this.