cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Cannot open the shared memory region

1. My project uses a local database (.sdf) and several local reports
2. In InstallShield LE, I have saved these files into the destination computer’s [INSTALLDIR]
3. When I install the project on a separate Windows Vista Computer, I get the message
a. “The InstallShield Wizard has successfully installed ExamPlannerV2. Click Finish to Exit the wizard”
b. However when I run the program I get:
Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.....
Internal error: Cannot open the shared memory region.
4. If, in the Vista computer, I go to the control panel in user accounts and turn the user account control (UAC) off, the program works fine, however this is not an acceptable solution to my users
5. I thought perhaps I could put the database file in the [AppDataFolder] file in the destination computer instead of the [INSTALLDIR] but this gives the following error message:
The database file cannot be found. Check the path to the database.
[Data Source = C:\Program Files\ExamPlannerV2\ExamPlanner.sdf]
6. Can anyone help please?
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

Could you install the setup on a vista machine by right clicking on the setup and by selecting the run as admin option.

While launching the installed application right click on the application and choose the run as admin option.

Kindly let us know if you are coming across the same issue when you install and launch the application by performing the above steps.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thank you very much for that information. I had not realised that you could right click on a program and select “Run as an administrator”. I guess that was the whole basis of my problem.
I then carried out the following two tests, both successful:

1. Settings InstallShield Lite:
“General Information” – “Require Administrative Privileges” – Set to “Yes”
Effect:
The program installed on the Vista computer – no problems.
However to run the program successfully, the user has to right click on the short cut, select “Run as administrator” then select “Allow” I trust this program.
The program then runs OK.

2. Settings InstallShield Lite
“General Information” – “Require Administrative Privileges” – Set to “No”
Effect:
The program would not install on the Vista computer unless the user Right Clicked on the “Setup” program and selected “Run as administrator” then select “Allow” I trust this program.
However I found that this has no advantage to the user, as to run the program successfully, he/she still has to right click on the short cut, select “Run as administrator” then select “Allow” I trust this program.
The program then runs OK.

Conclusion
Go with test 1, and advise each user how to start the program.

Thank you again for your help.
0 Kudos