cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ejcollins1
Level 2

Cannot create registry entry low in subnode hierarchy

I need to create an old-fashioned DSN on the destination machine. That means I need to put the following keys in the ODBC section of the registry:
HKLM - Software - Wow6432Node - ODBC - ODBC.INI - KeyForMyDSNNameGoesHere
HKLM - Software - Wow6432Node - ODBC - ODBC.INI - ODBCDataSources - ValueOfMyDSNNameGoesHere
HKLM - Software - Wow6432Node - ODBC - ODBC.INI - MyDSNName - KeyForMyDSNNameGoesHere - ValuesOfMyDSNDetailsGoHere

Using InstallShield LE, I don't seem to be able to put entries very far down into the hierarchy.
If I put a test key directly under SOFTWARE (32-Bit), as in HKLM - SOFTWARE (32 Bit), it works fine.
But if I put a test key in a subnode, such as HKLM - SOFTWARE (32-Bit) - Software, or lower in the tree, it does not create the registry entry.

There is no error when I build the Setup project, and no error during the running of setup.exe for installation.

Is putting registry entries in subnodes of existing keys not supported? Or am I doing something wrong.
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

I was able to create a registry key in the location without an issue with LE.

I would maybe double check to make sure that you have "cascading" folders to make sure that the key is being put in the right place

should look similar to this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- SOFTWARE (32-BIT)

-Wow6432Node

-ODBC

-ODBC.INI (key entry)

And not like this (wrong location)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- SOFTWARE (32-BIT)

-Wow6432Node

-ODBC

-ODBC.INI (key entry)