cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aclayto87
Level 5

Cannot change dialog in the Prerequisite "Abort the Setup" dialog box

Hi
I have created my own prerequisite that checks for a certain version of a program. If it doesnt find the correct file i want the setup to end, however i would like the message box to be more descriptive. Currently all it says is "The installation of WinAlignNew has failed. Setup will now exit."

i was wondering if there is anywhere in here that i could add text to make the error dialog box more descriptive? Anyway help is greatly appreciated! thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

That dialog (as well as the other prerequisite-related dialogs) is displayed by the Setup.exe launcher. Setup.exe dialogs are not available for edit within InstallShield. However, you might want to try editing the default strings that are included in the dialogs. They are located in the .ini files that are installed to C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2010\Support. The English strings, for example, are in the 0x0409.ini file.
0 Kudos
aclayto87
Level 5

Thank you so much, you have no idea how much help that was! i was able to alter the string in that file. I had no idea it even existed, i just knew i couldnt find the string i needed anywhere inside installshield.

Thanks again! i have been stuck on that for weeks! i had finally decided to give up and try other ways (which werent working either). im glad this way works!
0 Kudos
aclayto87
Level 5

Hi Debbie,
i have one more question about how to alter this .ini file
i was able to alter the string i wanted, however i would like to also have some carriage returns in the string to make it look nicer.
I have tried \n, \n\r, and many other things, and nothing seems to work.

Is there a certain format i need to use to get carriage returns or newlines to work?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Hmm. I'm not aware of any newline character support. Since the strings are Unicode, you may want to see if you can use a Unicode newline character somehow. I'm not sure if that will work.

I created enhancement request IOA-000056963 so that we consider adding newline character support in a future release.
0 Kudos
aclayto87
Level 5

Hi debbie, thanks for the reply. I think you are right in saying it may not work even if i use unicode. I tried many different things like adding in [CR][LF], [LF] and i tried putting in the actual (#x000D)(#x000A) and (#x000A) for the ones i mentioned. I dont know unicode very well, but i thought i would at least see something, and every time it just entered the text into the string.
I went ahead and just manually put the spacing in and that looks ok in the message box, just makes the .ini file look really messy.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know so that hopefully this can be fixed in an upcoming release.

thanks again for your help!
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Ah, thanks for trying that out. I've include a link to this thread in issue IOA-000056963, so we'll have your notes about what you tried.
0 Kudos