cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datarocker
Level 4

Cannot build functional setup.exe in Azure DevOps on-prem build server

I have developed an MSI project which builds and works fine locally on my desktop dev system.  But when I setup the project to build in an Azure DevOps pipeline, the resulting setup.exe is different in size and also does not function correctly and does not install my product.

My setup:

• Visual Studio 2019
  • InstallSheild 2019 R2 Professional
  • On-prem build server IS my desktop workstation, so should build the same

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
banna_k
Revenera
Revenera

Hi @datarocker ,

Did you checked the build log, is there any difference in the log. It will be good if you could share the log.

0 Kudos

For the Azure pipeline generated setup.exe, I get the following sequence.  This sequence/error does not happen with the setup.exe build directly on my desktop; it does not get an 'upgrade' dialog box, and it does not get the 'file key' error.  I've attached the log file for the pipeline/erroring version.

install_pipeline.png

0 Kudos

I uploaded the log two days ago.  Any news on this issue?  @banna_k 

0 Kudos

Hi @datarocker ,

Look like your setup is built with minor upgrade, can you check what configuration is getting built in both environment. You can easily tackle down this by comparing the build logs of your  environments.

MSI (c) (E4:F8) [08:53:45:173]: Command Line: REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus IS_MINOR_UPGRADE=1 SETUPEXEDIR=C:\agent\_work\3\a\Installers\Source\PrePass.SiteSystems.Roc\PrePass.Installer.MSI\PrePass.Installer.MSI\Default Configuration\Release\DiskImages\DISK1 SETUPEXENAME=PrePassSiteSystemsROCSetup.exe CURRENTDIRECTORY=C:\agent\_work\3\a\Installers\Source\PrePass.SiteSystems.Roc\PrePass.Installer.MSI\PrePass.Installer.MSI\Default Configuration\Release\DiskImages\DISK1 CLIENTUILEVEL=0 CLIENTPROCESSID=2788
MSI (c) (E4:F8) [08:53:45:173]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding PackageCode property. Its value is '{1DC6B34B-F2B0-4E1E-8C8B-F55395589F60}'.
MSI (c) (E4:F8) [08:53:45:173]: Product Code passed to Engine.Initialize: ''
MSI (c) (E4:F8) [08:53:45:173]: Product Code from property table before transforms: '{6ED8D12E-1BE6-4574-8539-63E9998958DF}'
MSI (c) (E4:F8) [08:53:45:173]: Product Code from property table after transforms: '{6ED8D12E-1BE6-4574-8539-63E9998958DF}'
MSI (c) (E4:F8) [08:53:45:173]: Product registered: entering maintenance mode
MSI (c) (E4:F8) [08:53:45:173]: Determined that existing product (either this product or the product being upgraded with a patch) is installed per-machine.

Not able to figure out, why the file is missing from the msi log.

So can you check the build log of both of your environment and   see for any difference.

0 Kudos

Attached are two log files:

- devops.txt is the Azure DevOps on-prem build server build log

- local.txt is the log file from running Visual Studio directly.

I don't see a significant difference between the log files.

Please note - the size of the setup.exe from the direct Visual Studio build is 7.135 MB, but the size of setup.exe from the build server is 2.814 MB.  The build server setup.exe is definitely missing some stuff.

0 Kudos

Did you ever figure this out? I am wanting to do the exact same thing. Do you have anything you can share to show your build tasks on the build server to kick off the InstallShield build process? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Could you please go through the following Knowledge Base articles and let me know whether you are successfully able to resolve the issue or not.

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Windows-Installer-Error-2715/ta-p/6093
0 Kudos