cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichaelN
Level 4

Cannot build SingleImage (worked yesterday)

Today I am unable to build SingleImage distributions for several installations that built perfectly through end of work yesterday. Nothing was changed in the ISE files. I am running ISE 2010 on Win7x64. I have the latest Norton Internet Security with all protections switched on and up to date.

Doing SingleImage builds repeatedly, I get all sorts of errors each time. One time I get 6012 "Failed to set code page for language 1033" but not the next time, then I get internal build error, then 5044 "Cannot delete directory", then 5047 "Cannot create directory", etc. On the other hand, Build CDROM works perfectly just as it did before. I tried several different projects and all show the same behavior.

I have tried the following:

• Rebooting.
  • Running ISE "Repair" in Win7x64 Programs and Features.
  • Switching the Cache Path between [CommonAppDataFolder], [AppDataFolder], [LocalAppDataFolder], [PersonalFolder], and [SystemFolder].
  • Switching the Release Location from to a folder in My Documents.
  • Switching the Compression from Compressed to Uncompressed. This appears to be the only thing that works using my original settings of Cache=[CommonAppDataFolder] and Release Location=. However, using Uncompressed builds a discrete installation but it does not build a single-image, so that option is useless.

What's happening here?

Michael
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
MichaelN
Level 4

I tried my installations again today and get the same behavior. See attached screen shot of ISE 2010 messages pane.

Michael
0 Kudos
MichaelN
Level 4

I build a totally new installation from scratch (taking the better part of an hour). SAME BEHAVIOR. It cannot get past "Internal Build Error", repeatably. :mad:

Here is the Log File:

================= Logging started at 12/10/2009 11:11:42 AM ==================
Created release folders
AdminExecuteSequence table successfully built
AdminUISequence table successfully built
AdvtExecuteSequence table successfully built
AdvtUISequence table successfully built
InstallExecuteSequence table successfully built
InstallUISequence table successfully built
ISEXP : fatal error -5019: Internal build error
Express\SingleImage - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
================= Logging stopped at 12/10/2009 11:11:42 AM ==================
Log file has been created:
0 Kudos
MichaelN
Level 4

Today, I wasted an hour creating a completely new installation from scratch. It still does not work. I get Internal Build Error 5019.

Log file:

================= Logging started at 12/10/2009 12:17:33 PM ==================
Created release folders
AdminExecuteSequence table successfully built
AdminUISequence table successfully built
AdvtExecuteSequence table successfully built
AdvtUISequence table successfully built
InstallExecuteSequence table successfully built
InstallUISequence table successfully built
ISEXP : fatal error -5047: Cannot create directory C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp\DIRD1F6.tmp
Express\SingleImage - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
================= Logging stopped at 12/10/2009 12:17:33 PM ==================
Log file has been created:
0 Kudos
Alpesh
Flexera Alumni

Hi Michael,

First try manually removing the existing release folder. Make sure you delete the entire folder. Then try building the single image release again.

Thanks,
Alpesh
0 Kudos
MichaelN
Level 4

Thanks, I've done that, probably 50 times. It makes no difference to the results. I have gotten 1 completed build out of more than 100 runs during the last 4days. Without changing the build parameters, the degree of completion varies and the error messages vary from one build to the next.

Michael
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Please try the following to try isolating the behavior:
- Delete all files in the %temp% directory.
- Disable any antivirus or antimalware utilities running on the machine.

Try building your projects after doing one of the above things at a time. If the behavior still does not change:
- Does a new sample project that contains one file build correctly with a compressed setup?
- Attach a verbose build log. To create a verbose log, open a command prompt and change the directory to C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2010\System and run the following command:
iscmdbld.exe -p "C:\PathToProjectFile\Project.ism" -r "SingleImage" -c COMP -v

The log file generated by the above command line may contain some additional information not in a normal log that might indicate what could be causing this issue.
0 Kudos
MichaelN
Level 4

I disabled all Norton Internet Security settings, then deleted all files from the %Temp% folder. Here is the result:

In the command window, after running the command line, I get this:

-1115: The source project file does not exist.

The complete log file for an attempt to do the SingleImage build is attached.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Unfortunately, this does not provide any additional information. The errors you are seeing (-6012, -5019) appear to be random failures during build. However, the -5044 and -5047 errors are directly connected to failed calls to the Win32 APIs RemoveDirectory/DeleteFile and CreateDirectory, respectively. Since these are part of the operating system, failures with these APIs could indicate something on the machine is interfering with their correct operation (for example, this could be caused by antivirus products falsely indentifying a file I/O operation as malicious).

Troubleshooting this type of failure typically requires using something like Process Monitor to attempt to isolate the cause of the failures from APIs like the ones mentioned above. You may also check the permissions on the temp folder C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp to ensure your user account or group membership is not denied access.

If the build was working at some point with all projects and then suddenly seemed to stop working, any software or hardware changes on the machine should also be investigated to ensure they are not the cause of this behavior.
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

when i had this problem, i later found that there was a very subtle difference between the actual project directory and the one on the command line.
0 Kudos