cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdarie
Level 3

Cannot add a new or existing InstallShield Project to Visual Studio 2012 Premium Ed.

I cannot add any InstallShield project to Visual Studio 2012.
Error: ISProjExpress.isl cannot be opened because its project type is not supported by this version of the application

Besides LE I do have Installshield Premier 2015 . If I am trying to add an existing ism project to a solution in VS 2012 , the result is similar.
Nothing is added.
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hi,

Do you have the limited edition or premier edition associated with VS?
0 Kudos
mdarie
Level 3

Both of them , limited and Premier edition 2015
0 Kudos
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

I would recommend repairing VS and then limited edition and see if there is an improvement.
The generic message is from VS and the issue ranges from shortcut parameters to setting issues. This should affect certain other project types as well.
0 Kudos
mdarie
Level 3

Thank you for the reply.
I did what you suggested but no improvement , the result is the same
I cannot add any Installation Projects to VS 2012
0 Kudos
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

If Visual Studio is already installed, then most recently installed version of InstallShield should integrate with Visual Studio without issue. Only 1 instance of InstallShield (regardless of version or edition) can be integrated with Visual Studio at one time.

If the Limited Edition was installed yesterday, then the Premier Edition was installed today, then the Premier Edition is currently integrated and opening Limited Edition projects will upgrade the project to a Premier Edition project type which will then not allow the project to be opened in the Limited Edition.
(You can upgrade projects, but not downgrade them)

It may be possible that you have The premier Edition integrated, but your project was made using the Limited Editon, or vice versa and if the project has been saved since both have been installed, the project may have become unintentionally upgraded or possibly corrupted.

To specify which InstallShield version is integrated with Visual Studio follow the steps below:

1) Close all instances of InstallShield and Visual Studio
2) Open up an Administrative Command Prompt and change directories to
C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\System
3) Type "TSconfig /registerVSIP"

This will register that version of InstallShield with Visual Studio.

I would then suggest attempting to create a new InstallShield project in Visual Studio, just to verify that it does work. While you may have to start your installer project over to ensure the edition that you are using is the one that you intend you should be able to continue going forward with your project.

If the above does not work, I would uninstall one of the editions then register the remaining edition.
0 Kudos
mdarie
Level 3

Hi JKELL ,

Thank you for your answer.

I followed step by step what you mentioned in your post.
No results.

I deleted the limited edition and did repeat the steps.

No results.

On my computer 3 versions of VS are installed : 2005,2010,2015 .
Do you think this could be an issue?
0 Kudos
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

I do not have multiple versions of Visual Studio installed, but the below steps should ensure that Limited Edition is "synced" with the version of Visual Studio that you want to use.

1. Use RegSvr32.exe to register IsLimEdt.dll, IsLimPkg.dll, and IsLimWiz.dll which are found in the "System" sub-directory of the main InstallShield installation directory location.

2. Locate devenv.exe corresponding to the version of Visual Studio.NET you are interested in.

For example, InstallShield Limited Edition 2013 supports Visual Studio.NET 2012 and this is located in the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10\Common7\IDE

3. Run devenv.exe /setup in an administrative command prompt (DOS) window.
0 Kudos