cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Narayana
Level 3

Can we install IIS using Install Shield setup

I am using IIS in my application and while installing that, I wan't to install automatically IIS also in the client PC. Can we do that with Install Shield....?

As I am new to Install shield I don't know....

Any help on this would be appreciable..

Thank you,
Narayan Ayyagari.
narayana@rcg.tv
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

IIS is generally part of windows, and thus cannot be installed by an external setup.exe. One common option is to have your install check for the presence of IIS and refuse to install if it is not there.
0 Kudos
davidh
Level 6

I know other customers have launched sysocmgr.exe as part of their setup. You might want to search these forums for examples.
0 Kudos
Narayana
Level 3

thanks for reply.....
can u plz tell me in detail....
As with u r worsd I can understand that we cannot install IIS from our setup.
But, u said we can detect the presence of IIS in the client pc.

I wan't to know how we can do that....can u plz give any example code to do so....

Narayana.
0 Kudos
Narayana
Level 3

Hello Mr. Davidh,

thanks 4 u r reply....by the way may I know what is sysocmgr.exe and in what way it is related with IIS in install shield....
sorry if I am asking anything wrong as I am new to Install Shield.

Thank you,
Narayana.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

If you simply search for sysocmgr.exe, you will find many results that describe how to do this.
0 Kudos
RakeshPatil
Level 5

Hi Is this still holds true or not. I am investigating about installing IIS 7 using Installshield 2010.

Please help us to know more about it.
0 Kudos
davidh
Level 6

Yes you can still search for sysocmgr.exe
0 Kudos
Install_guy
Level 4

Hi Narayana

You can install IIS via installshield.

For windows 7, use:
DISM.exe /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:IIS-WebServer /FeatureName:IIS-WebServerRole /FeatureName:IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility /Featurename:<>...............

For Vista, use pkgmgr with an unattended .xml file:

Start /w PkgMgr.exe /n:" + '":\Unattend.xml"

Read more: http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/133/using-unattended-setup-to-install-iis-70/
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I've always been against installing windows components for various reasons but now with the way Win 7 / Server 2008 can more easily be scripted to do the job I wonder if my opinion should change.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
0 Kudos
Jagdishk
Level 3

Install_guy wrote:
Hi Narayana

You can install IIS via installshield.

For windows 7, use:
DISM.exe /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:IIS-WebServer /FeatureName:IIS-WebServerRole /FeatureName:IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility /Featurename:<>...............

For Vista, use pkgmgr with an unattended .xml file:

Start /w PkgMgr.exe /n:" + '":\Unattend.xml"

Read more: http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/133/using-unattended-setup-to-install-iis-70/

Hi,

how to use this commanDISM.exe /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:IIS-WebServer /FeatureName:IIS-WebServerRole

in installscipt custom action in installshield.
I am trying but not able to do.
0 Kudos
rackoder
Level 2

Jagdishk wrote:
Hi,

how to use this commanDISM.exe /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:IIS-WebServer /FeatureName:IIS-WebServerRole

in installscipt custom action in installshield.
I am trying but not able to do.

Disable File system redirection:

if (GetEnvVar ("WINDIR", szTemp) >= 0) then
Disable(WOW64FSREDIRECTION);
SdShowMsg("Configuring IIS Feature ...", TRUE); Delay(1);
szCommand = szTemp^"System32\\DISM.exe";
LaunchAppAndWait(szCommand, "/Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:IIS-WebServer /FeatureName:IIS-WebServerRole /FeatureName:IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility /norestart", WAIT|LAAW_OPTION_HIDDEN|LAAW_OPTION_SHOW_HOURGLASS);
SdShowMsg("", FALSE);
Enable(WOW64FSREDIRECTION);
endif;
0 Kudos