cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gifford
Level 2

Can this be achieved in Express 2008?

Hi all,

I had a couple of Installshield Professional X projects which have been irretrievably deleted 😞 I need to recreate them asap and am considering moving to Installshield 2008 but ideally I would move to Express edition as I've found Professional a bit too heavyweight for me in the past.

Is the following is achievable in Express 2008?

(1) Offer three installation types, with different sets of data for each
(2) Check for presence of a Sun JRE, if not install bundled JRE
(3) Create a new registry key and set it with the installation path
(4) Create a text file whose contents depend on the drive letter of the user's DVD drive. (this is presently achieved by taking the return value of a Dialog box asking the user for the drive letter, and then using Installscript to write lines to a file).
(5) Create a shortcut (start menu entry) with 'Target' and 'Start in' values of my choice (not just installpath/dir etc.)

Many thanks for any advice.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

The Express edition does not have a Dialog Editor, which enables you to modify dialogs or create new custom dialogs. Also, the Express edition does not include support for InstallScript custom actions. Therefore, requirement 4 in your list would not be met. If this is a strict requirement for your product, you'd want to get the Professional or Premier edition of InstallShield.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
gifford
Level 2

Thanks Debbie.

I thought that might be the case. I guess if I was hell-bent on using Express I could write a vbscript custom action which figures out which drive the software is being installed from and creates the config file accordingly, so no custom dialog or Installscript required.
0 Kudos