cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Pilgrim

Re: Can the Condition Property for a Component check and see if the registry present

I tried to do the same thing and it just doesn't work. Instead i tried to build a condition on my components and that worked fine.
So instead of building a condition on my features, i'm using conditions on my components.

I used a system search that searched for the registry value 'test' with '1' as value data. The result was stored in the property INSTALLTEST.
In my component condition, i could use INSTALLTEST = '1' (value data had to be '1' ) or INSTALLTEST (registry value had to be found) to install that component.

This worked great but i wonder why it won't work on a feature.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

Not sure either

I'm not sure either, I'm running into a very similar problem with making FLEXnet Connect Agent install controllable via Property condition on a feature. No dice there either.

I'm starting to miss WISE...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: Can the Condition Property for a Component check and see if the registry present

Feature conditions work substantially different than Component Conditions. This thread was specific to Component conditions.

You might want to check the properties list to see if IS created the value there. If your condition goes like "IS_SOMETHING_INSTALLED" then if it's in the property table at all, it can allow this to get evaluated as true. If present - delete it.

The system search should really take care of that possibility, but if it does not then removing the property as suggested would be a good idea.

I'm not too sure if it does or does not honestly.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

I just can't get this to work for my component. I tried to "dumb" it down to see if it would work for a simple test as looking for notepad.exe. I created a System Search based on Notepad being present so my property is NOTEPAD. I enter this into the component condition with Not NOTEPAD, so it should only install if Notepad is not present. Well, now it never installs the component? Why? I also can't get logging to work so I have been unable to determine what value the Property NOTEPAD has? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, n but this is extremely frustarting for what appears to be a simple task! Can anyone please shed some light on this for me
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

What about logging isn't working for you?

[edit]

Just for clarification, you can create a log file by following the below directions:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q104807

I would create one and then post it up real quick 🙂
[/edit]
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

I thought if you enable logging from the Product Properties, and since I'm installing on a Vista machine, that it would automatically create the log file after installation? Is this not true?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

It should yes, but if you've having issues it might be more speedy to just manually generate the log file anyway.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

Attached is my log
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

I got a suggestion on this forum to use the commandline, which i do now and it generates the log decently:

setup.exe /V"/L*v C:\everything.log"

Pay attention to the ", i got that wrong when i tried the first time. Now i use it in a .bat file witth the path to my setup.exe.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

Well, upon further testing, it looks like if I use the condition Not NOTEPAD, my component NEVER installs (w/ and w/o notepad present in Windows Folder) and if I use the condition NOTEPAD (w/ and w/o notepad present in Windows Folder), my component ALWAYS installs. I can't believe this is so hard that I'm wasting all these hours just trying to perform this simple operation. I hope someone can shed some light on this for me. I have attached my log w/ the condition NOTEPAD
0 Kudos