cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimmiLee
Level 6

Can't set Folder Permissions (2003 & 2008) using Basic MSI Project and CACLS . . .

I have a basic MSI Project that requires Server 2003 or 2008.
In the root folder of the installation, I have a web folder, which must be accessible to both NETWORK SERVICE, USERS and DOMAIN USERS . . .

I've tried setting these permissions through the Installation Designer->Files and Folders then right clicking the folders, clicking permissions and then simply setting these . . .
However, while the installation runs smoothly, none of these permissions are set!

Then I moved on to try with CACLS through install scripts running under custom actions, but with the same problem in that none of the permissions are set . . .

I finally tried CACLS in a command prompt and kept getting a "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"
The command:
cacls "C:\Program Files\CRM Extensions\NN\" /T /E /G NETWORK SERVICE:F

However, I've tried messing with it and either I get the "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect" error or it simply shows me the cacls help (same as if you just write CACLS) . . .

If I try:
cacls "C:\Program Files\CRM Extensions\NN\"
It shows me the permissions for that folder correctly . . .

What am I messing up/doing wrong?

I'm thinking it's because I don't have permissions to set the permissions, but I log on to both test servers as the administrator!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
JimmiLee
Level 6

WRONG:
cacls "C:\Program Files\CRM Extensions\NN\" /T /E /G NETWORK SERVICE:F

CORRECT:
cacls "C:\Program Files\CRM Extensions\NN" /T /E /G "NETWORK SERVICE":F

Notice the lack of a last back slash in the path and the " around the users name . . .
0 Kudos