cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
curtisdehaven
Level 3

Can't rename a Feature

In an InstallScript project, we've renamed the DefaultFeature to be something else, as well as added a couple of new features, renaming each of those. When we go down to Setup Types, they show up as expected and we can check and uncheck the boxes to include or exclude the features. Looks great.

However, when we build a release, run it, and select "Custom Install", the features appear as Default Feature, NewFeature1, and NewFeature2 - they don't appear as we renamed them, nor as they appear in the project.

What's up with that?

Curt
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
phill_mn
Level 7

In Setup Design view (or Feature view) on the renamed Feature look at the Display String. That is what you are seeing when the setup is executed. Click on the dot on the right to select a different string or just type in that line.
0 Kudos
phill_mn
Level 7

The name of the Feature node is an internal name which your script uses to select and interact with the feature. I typically assign a literal and then use that in my code.
#include "literals.h" setup.rul
In literals.h
#define _MY_FEATURE "MyFeature" //this is the name of the feature in the Feature view
_MY_FEATURE is passed to various functions to select or deselect the feature, etc.

In the string table create a string
MY_FEATURE_DISPLAY_NAME "MyFeature"

Click on the feature and set the DisplayName property to MY_FEATURE_DISPLAY_NAME. This is what the user will see.
0 Kudos
curtisdehaven
Level 3

Oh Man... Could it be any easier to see? What a DUH moment... Thanks, Phill.
0 Kudos
phill_mn
Level 7

When I create a new Feature that I want to be visible, I also create a MY_FEATUE_DESC description string and a MY_FEATURE_STATUS status string in the same view. You will also find that when you create a Feature a DisplayString is also created using the form ID_String#. When you set the display string you can either rename the string ID or delete that string ID and create a new one with the ID that you prefer.
0 Kudos