cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
alanrickman
Pilgrim

COM Extraction issues - incorrect typelib paths in registry

Hi all,

We are using COM Extract at Build in a Merge Module project. We are encountering a problem where paths for our internal build machines are being found in "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\...\1.0\0\win32" rather than the path the DLL has been installed to on the target machine. This is happening for a large number of our products DLLs.

These paths all appear in the Value column in the Registry table, is this a known issue with com extraction? If so is there a workaround for this or is the solution to use self registration?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
esiemiat
Flexera beginner

Re: COM Extraction issues - incorrect typelib paths in registry

I reported this bug a few months ago. I found that if I extracted in the IDE the paths were set correctly but if I extracted at build time the paths on the development machines were used. Support created work order IOC-000075109, but I doubt this will get addressed any time soon.

For me, the problem was caused by special characters in the path to the files on my development machine. All I had to do was remove the '[' and ']' characters from the path and the build extraction worked fine. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
alanrickman
Pilgrim

Re: COM Extraction issues - incorrect typelib paths in registry

Thanks for the response, at least I now know its a known issue!

I've just tried clearing down all the COM data and performing the extraction through the IDE rather than at build time, unfortunately this hasn't fixed the issue.

Not really any special characters in the path to our source files but the path is reasonably long so i'll move them to another location and try again.
0 Kudos
Wittiw
Flexera beginner

Re: COM Extraction issues - incorrect typelib paths in registry

Dear Flexera Community and Flexera developers.

Have this issue been resolved. I cannot find any good solution, and it's a big problem in my projects.

I've spent lots of time to find solution. But unsuccessfully.

In my case it's acquired huge number of registry entries during installer building:

Registry_entries.jpg

I looked at registry table into msi (via Orca tool): there were lots of doubled typelib entries, but only one with dynamic property (of key path) and others with static paths.

What's interesting: when .dll libraries are registered manually (by regsvr32) on builder machine, the issue doesn't appear and registry entries are significally reduced.

I use InstallShield 2015 Pro on Win 10.

0 Kudos