cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmaHexagon
Level 2

COM DLL not registered

We upgraded our installer to the latest version of InstallShield. I found the COM DLLs are not registered after the installation. I have to manually register them using command "Regsvr32".

The "COM & .NET Settings" of the DLLs was set as "Extract COM Information".

It was created from InstallShield 2020 R3 and installed to Windows 10.

I found someone raised this issue before. Is that a defect of InstallShield 2020? Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Did you see any error on installing the setup.exe?

Could you please share the complete installation verbose log 

Here is a link to documentation about how to generate a verbose Installation log:

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Logging-an-MSI-Installation/ta-p/4323

If possible, please share the ism file and sample dll that replicate this issue.

0 Kudos
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

You mentioned that you upgraded your installer to the latest version of Installshield.
Older versions of Installshield used a different method of COM extraction. Its possible that your files are written in such a way that are not compatible with the new extraction methods.
You can try altering back to the previous COM extraction methods by using the following steps:

1. Open Regedit and navigate to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\InstallShield]
2. Create a new key 'RegSpy' and navigate to that key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\InstallShield\RegSpy]
3. Create a new DWORD in the 'RegSpy' key called 'UseAPIRegistryHooks'

Change UseAPIRegistryHooks value to 0 and try rebuilding the project.
This allows COM information to be captured by hooking Windows Registry API

If this does not work try changing the value to 1
Now COM information is captured through Registry redirection API

Finally try a value of 2
COM information is captured through Kernel mode registry filtering

0 Kudos