cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nicolasb
Level 5

Build a correct project architecture

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating the possibility to buy installshield for our enterprise and I want to create a solution architecture meeting the following requirements :

-We have 3 product sold separatly.
-Each of these product have its own .DLL wich are used with the same main program.
-The installtion of the main program should not let the user select a product he have not bought.
-These product can coexist on the same machine.
-We would like to install the main program on the first install of one of these product.
-For the following product install, we want to use the main program and add only the required DLL in its path.
-If we un-install the main program, all product DLL are also un-installed.
-The main program version must match the version of the product package.

My first idea was to create a Setup.EXE for the main program and one for each products. The main program installer would be a prerequisite for each product package. But here, I have trouble creating the prerequiste. I don't see how I could make sure that the same version in installed for each product and for the main software. Also, I'm not sure that this is the easiest solution..

Maybe I could create a single Setup.EXE file including the product packages as feature, but the feature that are not available and disabled ??

Thanks for your help on this and don't hesitate to tell me if I need to clarify my requirment.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

The side by side installation requirements but interdependent requirements may be a bit tricky but you should be able to craft a basic MSI package that meets your needs. In this you are going to have three product configurations - one for each distribution. There will be common features in each product configuration.

However, for each product configuration you will want to include a unique flag value. Then in the features that are product specific you include this flag to let the setup know which feature goes with what product.

The thing I don't know how to address is the issue of target directory for the shared components, I know it is possible to do this but it is a bit more than I can puzzle through in a quick reply.
0 Kudos
Nicolasb
Level 5

Thanks for your idea,
I could create the project and the 3 flagged release configuration. When I installed the first Package, it worked fine, I could install only the files for the first product. When I installed the second package, installshield told me that he was upgrading my first installation, wich is exactly what I want, but after the installation was completed, the files from the 2nd product were not added to my first installation...
Any clue ? It seems to me that we are close to the solution!
0 Kudos