cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kagsw1
Level 2

Better understanding of redistributables

I have InstallShield 2013 Express which I have been using successfully for awhile.
I'm a developer with very limited understanding of installation so I've kept things pretty vanilla.

After a recent update to my application, some of my users began having DLL registry errors during installation.
My research discovered that a tool I added to my application has a dependency on the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) (vcredist_x86.exe).
I send these users the link to download/install the redistributable package which works as a temporary fix.

Looking for a real solution, I then looked into the InstallShield redistributables and found 15-20 Visual C++ prerequisites and merge modules, none of which clearly map to the install that resolves my users' issues.

What is the correct solution for this problem.

Is there some set of merge modules/prerequisites that cover vcredist_x86.exe (if so, how do I identify which I need)?

Or do I need to run vcredist_x86.exe as part on my installation (if so, how would I do this)?

Ken Gilbert
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
tjohnson1
Technical Writer
Technical Writer

There are builtin prerequisites for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 and 2010 SP1 that you can include to correct your issue
0 Kudos
kagsw1
Level 2

Sorry, I didn't provide enough information.

The application is built in VB6 which does not have built-in prerequisites (that I know of).

I pestered the tool vendor and was told I only need the C++ 2010 Common Runtime DLLs.

So I added the Visual C++ 10.0 CRT (x86) merge module (Microsoft VC_100_CRT_x86.msm) to my kit and will see if that resolves the problems.

Ken Gilbert
0 Kudos