cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikewiz
Level 4

Basic MSI multi-instance

I'm using InstallShield 2008 Pro.
Is there a way using a basic MSI installer to not add the application to the registry (add/Remove Programs)?
I know that I could use an InstallScript project type, but that doesn't give me the flexibility that I need with my install package.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

In order to hide your application from the Add/Remove Programs panel, you need to set the ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT property in the Property table to 1.
0 Kudos
mikewiz
Level 4

I don't see the ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT in the property table. Do I need to manually add it?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Yes. Please try it and see if it solves your issue.
0 Kudos
mikewiz
Level 4

This did hide it from Add/Remove programs, but when I tried to re-install the application again, it asked if I wanted to upgrade, which I don't want to do.
I want to install the same application multiple times, I tried to use the multi-instance within an InstallScript project, but was limited to what I could do with database scripts.

What I'm trying to accomplish is this. I'm creating a installer package for a database application. I need to be able to install the database piece multiple times, and have the user create a SQL account, and specify the database name. The multi-instance would allow me to, but I cannot specify the database connection information, unless I have missed something.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Please refer to the Installing Multiple Instances of Products help topic to find out how you can create an .msi package to be used to install multiple instances of a product using InstallShield. There is also a great article titled Multiple Instance MSI's and InstallShield 12 written by Christopher Painter.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Hmmm, if you like that article, just wait until you see InstallShield 2009. 🙂
0 Kudos
mkkhan
Level 4

Am using InstallShield2008 Basic MSI Proj, i need to know the control or event or execution control which adds the Add/Remove programs entry while installation.

So that i can set the value of ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT = 1 or 0 based on some business logic condition.

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
MKK
0 Kudos
mkkhan
Level 4

Christopher Painter wrote:
Hmmm, if you like that article, just wait until you see InstallShield 2009. 🙂

Is there any way to add / change value of ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT programatically. ???
Am using InstallShield2008 Basic MSI Proj, i need to know the control or event or execution control which adds the Add/Remove programs entry while installation.

So that i can set the value of ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT = 1 or 0 based on some business logic condition.

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
MKK
0 Kudos