cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BizerbaDev
Level 6

Basic MSI: RemoveFile is not working?

Hi!

I have a Basic MSI setup that has some entries in the RemoveFile table. For some reason non of the rows is executed which means no file is deleted at all.

I've checked each of the colums: The corresponding component, the Filename, the DirProperty and the InstallMode (in that case 3 which should always execute). When I check the log file of the setup then the part "Doing action: RemoveFiles" seems to do nothing (at least no details are logged there). When I check the DirProperty in the log file then its value is correct, too.

The files that should be deleted are not part of the setup itself, but created by the application itself and must be deleted in case of uninstall, update and change setup.

What could cause this behavior? How can I get more info?

Regards

Ralf
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

since this is associated with a component, is it possible that the component was not removed?
It sounds as if you did everything correctly, the filename, directory, etc. All I can say is just double check that your file exists in the directory you expect and that the file name is what you expect. If the log file does not indicate that it is skipping the remove files action then it did try to process what you installed.
I know that I utilize this and it is working ... it has to be just some setting somewhere that is not what you expect and it is like looking for that proverbial needle in a haystack syndrome. 😛
0 Kudos
BizerbaDev
Level 6

Oh my... Two days no answer from anyone and then when I find out on my own someanswered...

Sorry DLee65... I just noticed that there was a typo in the provided directory which caused that none of the files were ever found. the sad thing is that in this case the log file will not say something like 'Could not delete file because it was not found'. Nope it just tells you nothing...

Once again sorry. I should have checked the paths more carefully...

Regards

Ralf
0 Kudos