Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
K0NFUZIUS
Level 5

Avoid installation of a sub release

Hello Installshield experts,
I have two Releases.

• The first one contains all features of the installation (lets call it MainRelease)
  • The second one contains just a few features of the installation. (lets call it SubRelease)

Both have the same Product and Upgrade code.

Now I have installed the MainRelease and then I tried to install the SubRelease.

Now the Installation ask' if the user will make an upgrade. Which makes no sense, because the SubRelease has not all Features.

If I then select "Yes" the Installation fails. That's ok, but the error message is that there is a missing row in the Feature table.

So I like (if someone will do this) to display an own error message.
Like "Mainrelease already installed" and the end the installation process.

I hope you understand my problem.
Thanks a lot for your help

Joerg
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
esiemiat
Level 9

Is this a Basic MSI project? If so, try creating a system search and Install Condition that check for the other instance of the application.
0 Kudos
K0NFUZIUS
Level 5

Hi Eric,
thanks for the answer. I've already tried this. But there is a problem.
I can't search e.g. for the product code (because it is the same).

I don't know how to find out if there is already a Subrelease installed or if there is a MainRelease installed.

I tried to make a custom action like this:
Installed AND ISReleaseFlag><"SubRelease"

That works fine. But what happens if a user has installed the SubRelease and tries to upgrade this SubRelease. This should not fail.

So the question is how can I find out which Release is already installed?
If there is way to get this information, it would be no problem to make a custom action.

Thanks a lot again

Joerg
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

I would write something to the registry to indicate what type of release this was. Then look for this key during the AppSearch phase.
0 Kudos