cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anthonyavid
Level 2

Automating Installshield 2020 SAB Installer

Attempting to install Installshield 2020 Standalone Build as part of an Ansible playbook on several host machines. I have prodded the .exe and it seems to be a basic msiexec installer - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Because the installer doesn't accept .iss answer files like InstallScript installers, I am attempting to automate via msiexec parameters (SERVERNAME, USERNAME, etc). I think I've found the names of the parameters via the property table in the installer, after redirecting the output to a local log file and tracing back through:

.\InstallShield2020R3StandaloneBuild.exe /v"/lp! .\installshield2020standalone.log"

So now I think I can verify the parameters through the log process. This seems unnecessarily obfuscated to me, though, and I feel like there is something that I'm missing. So I have two questions:

1. Where does the installer log by default?

2. Where do configuration options set by the installer get stored when it is completed? Is there a config file somewhere I just haven't found? I want to use this file to validate the install in Ansible, and would prefer to not have to grep through a log.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

0 Kudos

Hi, yes, that was one of the first things I found when I originally started looking at this. If you look closely though, the article you linked doesn't actually answer either of the questions I asked.

0 Kudos