cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rumDeep
Level 3

Are seperate .msi files needed for 32-bit and 64-bit setups?

Hi,

I have InstallShield 2008 installed on my machine. We have an InstallScript project for one of our applications whose single ".exe" works on 32-bit as well as 64-bit machines.

I now have to create a ".msi" for another application. For this purpose, we have decided to create the setup using the BasicMSI project type. I have absolutely no idea about this project type :o. So when i came across a few posts that mentioned seperate ".msi" files for the 32-bit and 64-bit OS, I was :confused: .

So, will anyone please enlighten me regarding the following:
1. Are seperate ".msi" files needed for the different OS?
2. If yes, then what must be different in the 2 files?
3. In my InstallScript project, I used to check for the OS type and manage everything internally in a single ".exe". Can i achieve the same in a single ".msi"?

Thanks in advance. 🙂

Regards,
rumDeep
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
IlkkaV
Level 7

If your setup contains just 32-bit components, you can use a single MSI to install the product on both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms.

However, if you have prepared 64-bit executables/libraries for the 64-bit platform, you'll need separate installers for 32-bit and 64-bit versions as MSI won't allow mixing 32-bit and 64-bit components in a single MSI package.
0 Kudos