cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
M_Madhusudana
Revenera
Revenera

Arabic Merge Modules not reading the install directory passed into it

I have an installer which we localise into many languages: European, Russian, Chinese - however we're having a problem with Arabic.

The installer is made up of Merge Modules to which we pass their install directory from the Top level installer. For some reason all the localised Merge Modules are installing into the c:\ while non-localised MMs are not.

The Merge modules are set so their internal INSTALLDIR is set to TARGETDIR and each of the folders in turn build up from here. These directories are building up fine, it's just the value passed in isn't working.

So for example. A Merge module is set to install in "\Resources\ar-SA". The Top Level install passes INSTALLDIR by value to this MM which is "C:\Program files\Product".

The Merge Module should install to "C:\Program files\Product\Resources\ar-SA" but it installs into "C:\Resources\ar-SA" - loosing the value that is passed in by the top level installer.

As It said it's worked in all other languages we've built. I'm not sure it if the build machine requires Arabic on it to build the Merge Modules - but when I look at the redistributables in teh Top Level ISM in Installshield it says they are not to be found on teh machin e- yet clicking on them shows teh file and their contents.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
M_Madhusudana
Revenera
Revenera

OK, I have figured this out - and it's nothing to do with Arabic!!!!

Basically if you add a Merge Module to an installer and subsequently change the case (not the spelling or GUID) of the MM - which changes the case of the Merge Module signature, this will build with no errors and install - just not where you expect!!!!

There seems to be a problem passing the Merge Module destination from the Top-Level install to the Merge Module if the case of the Merge Module has changed.

This came up in our Arabic build as Saudi Arabia's country code is ar-SA. We use in house tools to localise our products by manipulating the ism XML files. This means changing the Merge modules and the top Level installer.

We changes the Merge modules themselves to AR_SA, but their references in the top Level installer to ar_SA.

A tiny difference in Windows world as you cannot have two files of the same name in the same directory irrelevant of case - but obviously a big issue in the InstallShield world...

hope this helps someone else save a lot of time
0 Kudos