cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wrun44
Level 4

AppPool shared by two installations

I have two installations, they share the same application pool. Is there a way to overwrite the app pool each time installations are installed and to do not have it removed when one of the installation uninstalled in any order?

I tried to create a component in each installation assosiated with that app pool, that installs some empty txt with reference counting enabled, but that does not help - app pool gets uninstalled anyway.

Tried to set "Overwrite existing pool" to "No", but in this order: install first, install second, uninstall first - app pool is removed.

Ideally I'd like to overwrite it each time, so if there are some lefovers from previous uninstalls, it would get updated with the proper settings.

Please help?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
mpa109
Level 5

6 months later, I'm having this same problem.

No matter what combination of "Mark Component as Permanent" and "Overwrite Existing Application Pool" properties I use, the application pool is always uninstalled by one of the applications I've installed it with (regardless of the order of which application I uninstall).

I'm using an InstallScript project, and the Application Pool name is being dynamically set during installation using TextSubSetValue. Even tried to set the name value statically with no success.

Anyone have a solution or workaround they'd like to share? Is this a known issue and there's a hotfix or something? Am I just doing something wrong?
0 Kudos
wrun44
Level 4

hi,

I ended up with having components with the same name, both 64-bit, both installing same empty txt file as key file and linked to the app pool - in both installations. So now the component, that is assosiated with app.pool has 2 for reference count, and is not being removed (with app pool) until the last installation is being uninstalled.
0 Kudos
mpa109
Level 5

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

So, if I understand correctly, in the Components view, for component "AppPoolComponent", you have a text file that both installations will reference.

And, in IIS view, under Application Pools, you have the App Pool name, and what are your settings for "Mark Component as Permanent" and "Overwrite Existing Application Pool"? And back in the Components view, is the component marked as "Shared"?
0 Kudos
wrun44
Level 4

Yes, and the text file has the key set - to enable reference counting - I checked after both installations installed, it equals to 2.

Overwrite - No,
Permanent - No.

I found this solution when installed A, installed B, uninstalled A and analyzed A's uninstallation log.
0 Kudos
mpa109
Level 5

Thanks for the info (and sorry for the lateness of my reply - holidays and other work issues).

Can't get this to work on my end. Is your project InstallScript? I'm guessing not.

Also thought that this could be related to the fact that we use one installer to install these two products (multi-instance install is enabled, we have a drop down for configuration to select which product). So, maybe since this is being done from one installer, that is the root cause?

Anyone from InstallShield have a comment?

I'm thinking of just creating the App Pool using appcmd.exe so it's not logged for uninstallation, as checking the "Mark Component as Permanent" doesn't seem to have the desired affect.
0 Kudos