cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danjal
Level 5

Another version of this product is already installed...

I have a InstallScript MSI Project to install our product.
The installer for an older version of our product was made with Visual Studio 2005.

When I run the new installation on a machine where the old installation is already, the message “This setup will perform an upgrade of…” appears, which it also should.

When I run the new installation a again I would expect a dialog where I could choose too Repair or Uninstall, but instead I get “Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue…”.

Why is this?

The Product Code and the Upgrade Code are the same for the InstallScript MSI Project and the Visual Studio 2005 project.

The InstallScript MSI Project has a newer Product Version number.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
Not applicable

This probably is occuring because you've unwittingly violated minor upgrade component rules during the minor upgrade you created.

I would suggest performing a major upgrade when attempting to upgrade from your Visual Studio project file.
0 Kudos
danjal
Level 5

The problem is that the versions installed by the Visual Studio installer are 3.0.1 and 3.0.2. The version that is going to be installed with the InstallShield installer is 3.0.3 and there for a small upgrade.
0 Kudos
danjal
Level 5

I have now made the upgrade to a major upgrade, but it does not change anything.

I can also see that the files that are installed with the previous installation do not get overwritten with the ones in the new installation.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

The problem is that the versions installed by the Visual Studio installer are 3.0.1 and 3.0.2. The version that is going to be installed with the InstallShield installer is 3.0.3 and there for a small upgrade.

This would actually be a minor upgrade. Any change in the version number precludes you from doing a small update. But honestly, it doesn't really matter. The version differences don't actually enforce any specific upgrade strategy, they are standards for Windows Installer that aren't actually enforced.

danjal wrote:
I have now made the upgrade to a major upgrade, but it does not change anything.

I can also see that the files that are installed with the previous installation do not get overwritten with the ones in the new installation.

If you're seeing this then you're probably not doing a major upgrade in all honesty. Have you verified that you created a new Product Code and added a Major Upgrade item to the project?
0 Kudos
danjal
Level 5

I have now changed the Product Code and when I run the installation it does overwrite the files.

But now the message “This setup will perform an upgrade of…” does not appear. In stead it installs as if it is a first time installation.

What I want is that if there is a previous installation, a special script is run and the old files are overwritten with the new ones.

I have figured out that if the message “This setup will perform an upgrade of…” appears I can put that special script in the event OnResumeUIBefore().
0 Kudos
tishamol
Level 2

Hi,

I am also facing the same problem mentioned above.

I installed my application setup.exe.Now am trying to upgrade it via .msi.
But it is throwing an error( 1638:Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or

remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel).

But using setup.exe am able to upgrade my application.

Similarly if installed using .msi the application is succesfully upgraded using .msi and .exe.

Any updates on this.

Expecting a reply

Regards
Smitha
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

You should only have to change the Product and Package GUIDs (in addition to bumping the product version). The upgrade GUID should be left alone. However, I do feel your pain in that the "major" upgrade now appears to be a fresh install. Still looking into preventing that or at least changing the dialog.
0 Kudos
markeddd
Level 3

Yes the problem is still there.I have now made the upgrade to a major upgrade, but it does not change anything.
0 Kudos