cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bill_pate
Level 3

After update to Windows 10, InstallShield 2012 Spring and 2015 crashes PC

After updating my PC to Windows 10 from Windows 7, I found that building 32 bit projects in Installshield 2012 Express and 64 bit projects in InstallShield 2012 Spring causes my PC to crash (blue screen) with the error ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY. This did not happen in Windows 7. The crash comes when it is processing an OCX I need for my program. In the 32 bit version the OCX goes into the [SystemFolder]. For the 64 bit installer the OCX goes into the System64Folder and I use InstallShield 2012 Spring. The crash happens at the same place while processing the OCX file. I downloaded the trial version of InstallShield 2015 and the crash occurs with that version as well. I repaired the 2012 Express program but the crash still happened. Now I can't create the setup for my program so I am desperate for a solution. Thanks very much for your help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
bill_pate
Level 3

bill.pate wrote:
After updating my PC to Windows 10 from Windows 7, I found that building 32 bit projects in Installshield 2012 Express and 64 bit projects in InstallShield 2012 Spring causes my PC to crash (blue screen) with the error ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY. This did not happen in Windows 7. The crash comes when it is processing an OCX I need for my program. In the 32 bit version the OCX goes into the [SystemFolder]. For the 64 bit installer the OCX goes into the System64Folder and I use InstallShield 2012 Spring. The crash happens at the same place while processing the OCX file. I downloaded the trial version of InstallShield 2015 and the crash occurs with that version as well. I repaired the 2012 Express program but the crash still happened. Now I can't create the setup for my program so I am desperate for a solution. Thanks very much for your help.

I found a post with the title "How to register DLLs/Ocx for current User during installation" which got me curious about the OCX that was causing a crash while creating the setup. So, in Destination Files, right click on the OCX, and click on the menu item Properties. In the Properties dialog box, click on the "COM & .NET Settings" tab. At the top top of that tab is a drop down menu labeled "Registration Type" with 3 choices: None, Extract COM Information and Self Registration. I changed the type from Extract COM Information to Self Registration and the problem was fixed. Although it was my fault that Registration Type was incorrectly set, InstallShield should not respond by crashing my PC but should show a message saying that COM information could not be extracted. Anyway, the problem is fixed.
0 Kudos
csalernoCSIT
Level 2

I'm in the same boat with InstallShield Express 2012, migrated to a Windows 10 laptop and now getting Blue Screened with same error.
Scared to invest another $1,000.00 to upgrade knowing that this issue is not fixed. This software is too buggy even worst than Sage ACT!
0 Kudos
1Gunn1
Level 4

I am also now having the same issue with InstallShield 2012 Spring. It is causing my Windows 10 PC to crash (blue screen) with the error ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY. This did not happen on this same machine when Windows 7 was the operating system.

It seems to crash when COM information is being extracted from my .exe file (marked as the key file in a component). Using the info from others in this thread, when I turn off the COM extraction, the installer builds just fine.

Is there a patch to fix this on Windows 10, or another alternative? (Dismayed to see Installshield 2015 doesn't work either). We're not in a position to spend > $1k of money just to fix this issue!

Thanks,
0 Kudos