cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NeilHayes
Level 5

Advertised shortcut doesn't find the source

I'm a little confused here....

I have an Window installer installation with 4 features. The installation is builts as an exe (setup.exe). MSI is set to cache (Windows\Installer)

User runs install and selects not to install anything but selects one feature as advertise. Installation runs advertise shortcut appears.

What I think happens behind the schenes, setup.exe expands in temp folder, msi runs and advertises shortcut BUT msi is NOT cached.

User click advertised shortcut, Windows installer engine starts but the MSI is not found therefore prompts user for location.

Do I have to force the installation of 1 feature in order to cache msi to advertise will work?

Remote installation my the way is set to Favor Local.

Where have I gone wrong?

Regards

Neil
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Is the Cache MSI Locally setting in the release you are building set to Yes? If it is, then next step would be to create a setup.exe log to see if/where it is caching the MSI package. You can create this log with the following command line:
setup.exe /debuglog"C:\PathToLog\LogFile.log"

Also, you can use the MsiSleuth utility that ships with IS 2010 (C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2010\System\MsiSleuth.exe) to view the source list information for this package. This should provide information on where MSI will search for the package if it needs to. If the Cache MSI Locally release setting was set to Yes, at least one source path should be present for the cache location (default is [LocalAppDataFolder]Downloaded Installations\{PackageCode}).
0 Kudos