cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonathanqis
Level 6

Adding rows to installation database tables during install

The help for the Registry table quotes
"A custom action can be used to add rows to the Registry table during an installation, uninstallation, or repair transaction. These rows do not persist in the Registry table and the information is only available during the current transaction. The custom action must therefore be run in every installation, uninstallation, or repair transaction that requires the information in these additional rows. The custom action must come before the RemoveRegistryValues and WriteRegistryValues actions in the action sequence."

My question is how ?

I have checked through the help for just about all obvious leads but still cannot find how to do this ( N.B. The recomended way ).
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Depending on what you're trying to do, there's often a more straightforward way than modifying the in-memory MSI database, but for the general idea see (for example) this ancient newsletter tip (PDF): http://www.flexerasoftware.com/webdocuments/PDF/msiaccess.pdf.
0 Kudos
jonathanqis
Level 6

Thanks,

I did manage to find an example of the MsiCreateRecord method and associated calls for opening the running database from the forum but the user manuals are rather slim on these kinds of detail.
0 Kudos