cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThisIsEd
Level 4

Add exclusions to Windows Search during install

Our product creates a large number of files during runtime that contain program data. The Windows Search feature of Vista and Win7 attempts to index these files and folders and wastes CPU time and disk space doing so. I'd like to add a folder to the list of folders excluded from indexing.

I imagine a solution probably includes some Installscript plus the Windows API but I'm coming up blank on what functions to call. Anyone out there done this before?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
SteveLovell
Level 5

You would need to make changes to the fodler options somehow, I dont really know any details of what you need to do. But as a pointer I would look at the registry entry for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\Folder
or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Im sure that you could script to change the registry entry to disable indexing during the install, then re-enable indexing after the install. I supose that this may turn on indexing for all end users even if they didnt originally have indexing on unless you script to avoid that.

###

Like I said, I dont really know, I am just trying to help point you in the general direction 🙂
0 Kudos
ThisIsEd
Level 4

Thanks for the additional info. Turns out we don't actually need to modify this in the end. But for those that stumble upon this thread looking for the same, I eventually found some lower level developer API stuff for Windows Search: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb266516%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
0 Kudos