cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheHouz
Level 5

64Bit Support

I have a 32Bit application that I have been building installs on for several years.

With Express 2009, can I build an install that will install my 32Bit application into a 32Bit operating systems with 64Bit hardware. I believe this is true.

But, with Express 2009 can I build an install that will install my 32Bit application into a 64Bit operating systems with 64Bit hardware.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Yes, as long as you are installing as a 32-bit application, this will not be a problem. If in the future you need to install a 64-bit application in 64-bit fashion, you will need to upgrade.
0 Kudos
TheHouz
Level 5

Michael, thanks for the reply. I would like to confirm my understanding before I go purchase 64Bit infrastructure.

1. With Express 2009, I can build an install that will install my 32Bit application into a 32Bit operating system, with 64Bit hardware. Is this correct?

2. With Express 2009, I can build an install that will install my 32Bit application into a 64Bit operating system, with 64Bit hardware. Is this correct?

3. Down the road, if I have a 64Bit application, I will have to upgrade the Express version to have the ability to create an install for a 64Bit operating system. Is this correct?

Finally, do you have a link to instructions that will allow me to build an install that will install my 32Bit application into a 64Bit operating system, with 64Bit hardware.

Thanks, in advance!

MichaelU wrote:
Yes, as long as you are installing as a 32-bit application, this will not be a problem. If in the future you need to install a 64-bit application in 64-bit fashion, you will need to upgrade.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

1 and 2: Yes. 3: I should clarify I meant you'll have to upgrade to the Professional or Premier edition to support 64-bit installations. Again that's only the installation; a 32-bit installation is fine even on 64-bit hardware or operating systems. 4: There are no special steps you need to take to support 64-bit operating systems with a 32-bit installation; just create it like you normally would for a 32-bit operating system.
0 Kudos
TheHouz
Level 5

Michael, regarding number 4 below. If that is the case, that there are no special steps. Then why am I having issues now when an install is done on a 64Bit operating system now.

The applications are looking/expecting to be loaded and executed in c:\ program files\application name. But, when we try to execute the applications, they are trying to execute in c:\program files\x86\application name. What am I missing here?

MichaelU wrote:
1 and 2: Yes. 3: I should clarify I meant you'll have to upgrade to the Professional or Premier edition to support 64-bit installations. Again that's only the installation; a 32-bit installation is fine even on 64-bit hardware or operating systems. 4: There are no special steps you need to take to support 64-bit operating systems with a 32-bit installation; just create it like you normally would for a 32-bit operating system.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'm not sure I understand your question or scenario correctly. But it sounds like you have a problem with your application instead of your installation. On a 64-bit machine, there are some hard redirections (Windows and System32 folder to 32-bit locations) and some soft redirections (Program files to a 32-bit location). The soft redirection still allows 32-bit programs to access the 64-bit location without extra work, however the standard lookups will find the 32-bit path instead of a 64-bit path. Please read up on MSDN or other resources about the differences involved in running in a WOW64 context.
0 Kudos